Syracuse compensates for a poor shooting performance by forcing turnovers in 60-39 win against Virginia Tech

Courtesy of Syracuse Athletic Communications

Maggie Morrison (4) and Syracuse suffocated Virginia Tech into turning the ball over 29 times on Sunday. The Orange romped the Hokies, 60-39.

Syracuse plays a numbers game every time it takes the floor. The goal is to shoot 40 percent from the field every game. But if SU falls short, it has to force at least 20 turnovers in addition to taking 20 more shots.

It’s a math game that the Syracuse players could hardly begin in the midst of their second-worst shooting day of the season. The coaching staff relayed the numbers at halftime, providing structure and reason to a style of play that seemingly lacked it on Sunday.

“We’re not making shots, but we’re still getting extra possessions,” point guard Alexis Peterson said. “I’m not good at math, but, you know.”

The math added up for the Orange (12-4, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) in its 60-39 win over Virginia Tech (13-3, 1-2) on Sunday afternoon in the Carrier Dome. SU shot just 29.9 percent from the floor, but forced 29 turnovers and took 32 more shots than the Hokies. Facing off against a team that prefers a slow tempo and holds opponents to 46.9 points per game, Syracuse disrupted the Virginia Tech strategy and won a game that was more about quantity than quality.

“If we shoot 29, 30 percent, we’ve got to play this way,” Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman said. “This is how we win. It’s a formula for success for us. Winning games and playing fast.”

It was a constant theme throughout the game. Seven turnovers in the first quarter. Eight in the second and third. Six more in the fourth, even after Syracuse slowed down the pace of play to try and run down the clock.

The Hokies had actually outscored the Orange by one point in the third quarter as Virginia Tech set up what it hoped would be the last possession of the frame. VT was down by 10, having cut into what was once a 17-point deficit.

But Regan Magarity fumbled the ball under Cornelia Fondren’s pressure. SU’s senior guard stole a pass, missed a shot, got her own rebound and went up hard to add two to the Orange’s lead. Syracuse missing shots wasn’t a hinderance to its ability to control the game.

“We’re a good defensive team. If you don’t finish possessions then you have no chance,” Virginia Tech head coach Dennis Wolff said. “We forced them into shooting a lot of long, guarded shots. And then they just beat us to the rebounds. You just take away any chance you have of winning.”

The Orange only made field goals on six of its offensive rebounds. It made just eight of its 38 attempts from behind the arc. It fouled Virginia Tech 17 times, drew just 12 itself and it struggled to score in transition, totaling just seven points on the fast break.

The numbers for Syracuse are gaudy, but the important ones, the ones SU sets goals for every game, fall right in line with what SU was hoping for.

“We definitely had to come back and put a hurting on somebody,” Briana Day said. “…We had a lot of energy and effort and I think that’s what we needed was to come out and beat them. And, that worked.”