Work Wednesday

Senior supervises 3D printers, laser engravers in MakerSpace

Eddie Natal | Contributing Photographer

Zach Tanenbaum is using the innovative machines in the MakerSpace to create his senior design project, a ping-pong ball return system.

Below the kitchens and dining space of Kimmel Food Court, Zach Tanenbaum works with 3D printers, a laser engraver and an embroidery machine, among other equipment.

Tanenbaum, a senior mechanical engineering major, supervises the Syracuse University MakerSpace, which was unveiled in the fall of 2014. The MakerSpace aims to give students the opportunity to exercise creativity through the use of emerging technologies.

“I clean up the lab and work with the 3D printers to make prints,” Tanenbaum said. “In general, I just make sure the lab is running smoothly.”

The MakerSpace is located in the Kimmel Computer Lab, below Kimmel Food Court. It is home to a variety of machines, which are free for students to use. Student supervisors like Tanenbaum oversee projects and facilitate the use of all this equipment, especially since many students may be unfamiliar when using it for the first time.

Tanenbaum said his favorite part of the job is witnessing all the innovations his peers turn out. From experimental wings to 360-degree GoPro helmets, MakerSpace has no shortage of creative inventions.

“There are just a lot of cool projects that I get to be a part of,” Tanenbaum said.

12716_P_WWIntext_EddieNatal_CP_WEB

In the past, Tanenbaum has worked with 3D printers to create intricate pieces such as his “gear cube,” which is similar to a Rubik’s Cube and has several moving parts that are all precisely aligned. However, it’s not always easy to perfect a piece on the first try.

“I’ve done rapid prototyping where I 3D printed a part to have a friend make on a mill,” said Tanenbaum. “I printed it three or four times to get the right dimensions down and make sure it would actually fit.”

For his senior design project, Tanenbaum is utilizing the machines at the MakerSpace to create a ping-pong return system, designed to capture a ping-pong ball and then launch it back to the player. Tanenbaum said he has already began printing some of the pieces.

With its potential for creativity and innovation, Tanenbaum said he encourages students to explore MakerSpace and its possible applications.

“I love getting to see everyone’s awesome projects,” Tanenbaum said. “It’s definitely a fun place to work and a fun place to hang out.”