Nutrition

Rockett: Skipping breakfast is easy but could wreak havoc on your health

Getting through spring semester at Syracuse University feels like running the gauntlet. The challenges are endless. Trudging through mountains of snow, meeting deadlines and trying not to get sick are all never-ending battles.

The biggest struggle of all is getting out from under warm sheets and blankets in the winter. By the time you find the energy to get out of bed, you’re likely to be crunched for time, causing you have to find shortcuts in your daily routine. This may mean skipping breakfast. While this may be an easy short-term solution to get out the door in time, it has serious long-term consequences for your health.

A study published by the Harvard School of Public Health states that regularly skipping breakfast also increases risk for heart disease.

“Skipping breakfast may lead to one or more risk factors, including obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes, which may in turn lead to a heart attack over time,” said the lead researcher.

After sleeping, the body’s energy stores are depleted. Instead of using food as fuel, the body relies on stress hormones to function. When you skip breakfast, your body isn’t properly refueled after sleep, and this can lead to “hitting the wall” later in the day. Missing morning mealtime will cause an inability to perform or continue daily activities at an optimal level. Eating breakfast helps improve concentration, which promotes better grades and enhanced work performance. Making time to eat in the morning is also a major key for weight control. It helps prevent overeating and nutrient imbalance later in the day.

The essentials of a balanced breakfast are protein, whole grains and fruit. A combination of these foods helps keeps your energy up during the day and supplies your body with the minerals it needs. Whole grains have more fiber which helps blunt hunger and keeps you feeling full for a longer amount of time. Additionally, USDA dietary guidelines recommends eating 6 to 8 portions of whole grains per day. It’s hard to achieve this goal without eating breakfast.

When your schedule is a little lighter, treat yourself to scrambled eggs with fruit, turkey bacon and a slice of whole-wheat toast. One packet of instant oatmeal or a half cup of cooked oatmeal with scrambled eggs is another option when you’re not pressed for time. Choose unflavored oatmeal that is free of unnecessary additives, preservatives and high fructose corn syrup. Flavor your oatmeal with your own fresh toppings like walnuts, berries, honey or brown sugar.

When you are short for time, a balanced breakfast is just as attainable. Try an English muffin sandwich, made of cheese and low-sodium sliced deli meat. To melt the cheese, warm the sandwich in the microwave. Grab a piece of fruit to complete your meal. If you’ve pushed the snooze button too many times, grab low-fat Greek yogurt, a whole-wheat bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter and a piece of fruit for an on-the-go breakfast.