State

New York state fast food workers are now making more money

Three minimum wage increases in New York state took effect on Dec. 31, raising the overall minimum wage and setting specific minimum wages for fast food workers and workers who get tipped.

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the increases in a statement on the state’s website.

“No one who works full time should ever be condemned to a life of poverty,” he said in the statement.

He added that he will continue working toward a $15 minimum wage.

The state’s new minimum wage is $9 per hour, up from the previous minimum of $8.75.

Fast food workers will make even more than that, with their minimum wage being increased to $10.50 per hour in New York City and $9.75 in the rest of the state. Additionally, the minimum wage for workers who are tipped was raised to $7.50.

Employers who fail to comply with these new restrictions may face fines, charges and criminal or civil punishment.

Tommy Tzivanis, an employee at Subway, said the franchise will be increasing statewide prices of sandwiches to offset the increase in minimum wage.

He added that he was confused by Cuomo’s focus to increase wages for fast food workers.

“There are so many other sectors that deserve to have higher minimum wages than the fast food industry — like those working in hospitals,” Tzivanis said.

Employees at Dunkin’ Donuts and McDonald’s both said they were not able to discuss the minimum wage increase. An employee at Roly Poly said the franchise did have to increase the minimum wage at each of its stores.

Nigel Travis, chief executive officer of Dunkin’ Brands Group, said in a TheStreet article that companies are already feeling the effects of the wage increase.

“Franchise owners are less-than-happy about minimum wage increases for their employees,” Travis said in the article. “There is anxiety over minimum wages, so franchises have increased prices a lot.”