From the Runway

Fun and functional: Boots to survive the Syracuse winter

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

Over-the-knee boots make it easy to stomp the Syracuse snow

Syracuse winters tend to wreak serious havoc on our style, and definitely on our footwear. However, there’s no need to sacrifice personal style to the cold-weather gods. Add personality and comfort to a pair of on-trend and functional boots to make those early morning trudges to campus a whole lot chicer. Complete with a warm pair of socks and a great leather protectant, prepare to stomp the hill in all kinds of snow, ice and rain this season.

Chelseas + Heathered

These aren’t your Beatles’ Chelsea boots. Dating back as far as the 1890s, the Chelsea boot gained traction during the mod scene in 1960s Britain. The modern Chelsea boot has been adapted into a number of heeled variations including the Cuban, stiletto and featured chunky heel with a ’90s vibe. The shoe channels classic menswear looks as seen at Burberry and Saint Laurent and takes it to a feminine level. Paired with scrunched heathered knee-highs, the look comes off the runway and onto the street. Complement the look with a leather mini and opaque tights or dark, high-waisted skinny jeans for a contemporary urban ensemble.

Dorris Huang | Staff Photographer

Dorris Huang | Staff Photographer

Dr. Martens + Stripes

This look can be spotted on the girl pounding the pavement to Smashing Pumpkin’s “Today” blasting through her earbuds under her beanie. Making their way from German workwear to the British punk scene, Doc Martens are a grunge staple and all-around utilitarian piece that can be found sloughing through the snow or prancing about at Coachella in the spring. Paired with monotone stripes, you’ve got an easy alternative look.The deep, shiny burgundy works well with a classic winter grayscale palette while the stripes add a pinch of riot girl whimsy. Channel your inner Courtney Love by pairing this look with sheer tights and a baby-doll dress or a set of velveteen leggings in a jewel tone and a beaten-up denim jacket for a look only a Cobain could adore.

Dorris Huang | Staff Photographer

Dorris Huang | Staff Photographer

Transparent rain boots + Animal print

Never run out of creative combos with transparent rain boots, the ultimate custom footwear. Colorful animal prints add personality to the otherwise basic shoe. Perfectly equipped for the rain, make a splash in this Japanese street style-inspired look. Check out the girls of Harajuku for inspiration on how to maximize this look like a Decora girl. If you’re not ready to take your look to that level of color and detail, this shoe/sock alone adds punch to your basic sweater and jeans. Expect the compliments and stares to pour in. You’ll surely stand out in a sea of black and plaid Hunter boots.

Dorris Huang | Staff Photographer

Dorris Huang | Staff Photographer

Over-the-knee + Solid color thigh-highs

Over-the-knee boots provide major coverage as well as subtle sexiness to any everyday look. Inspired by Gisele Bündchen’s leggy looks for Stuart Weitzman, you can tackle any cold winter’s day and keep those gams toasty in a super tall boot. The black elongates the leg, which is perfect for the pint-size fashionista, while thigh-high socks add extra warmth and an even longer line. Solid color socks keep the style modern and minimalist while maximizing the sex appeal that’s demure enough for everyday wear.  Prepare to expand your sweater dress collection for a killer look that’s chic but easy enough to throw on for those Monday morning 8 a.m. classes. Channel your inner Victoria’s Secret model and make the sidewalk your runway.

Dorris Huang | Staff Photographer

Dorris Huang | Staff Photographer

Don’t let the cold cramp your style. You have way more options than your usual Uggs or Wellies. When it’s not easy to stand out in a crowd of what looks like extras from 8 Mile, unique socks make for the perfect accessory to boost your look and add interest while keeping you warm in Syracuse’s often below zero temps.