Schools and Colleges

College of Law dean search committee to start interviews in mid-Feburary

Renee Houape | Staff Photographer

The search committee tasked with finding a new dean of the College of Law is now accepting resumes. Hannah Arterian, the previous dean, announced she was stepping down from the position in the summer of 2015.

The search committee tasked with finding a permanent dean for Syracuse University’s College of Law is accepting nominations and plans to start the first round of interviews in mid-February.

Korn Ferry, a consulting firm hired by SU to help with the search, will be reviewing and screening incoming resumes, according to an SU News release. The search committee will then review a pool of potential candidates and pick some applicants for the first round of interviews, according to the release.

The committee plans on having a  permanent dean in place for the 2016-17 academic year, according to the release.

The search is being led by committee chair LaVonda Reed, a law professor and associate provost for faculty affairs. She was also on the search committee that found SU athletic director, Mark Coyle.

The new dean will replace Hannah Arterian, who announced she was stepping down from the position in June 2015. She was dean of the College of Law for 13 years.

During Arterian’s time as dean, the College of Law expanded legal centers and institutes, including the Institute for the Study of the Judiciary, Politics and the Media and the Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism.

Last February, a petition circulated around campus asking Arterian to address an incident in which a law student and her friend were allegedly drugged at off-campus house parties hosted by third-year law students in fall 2014. Kevin Quinn, SU’s senior vice president for public affairs, said in June 2015 that the incident and the following petition had nothing to do with Arterian stepping down.

William Banks, a law professor and founding director of the INSCT, has been serving as interim dean since August.