National

College admissions officers are checking social media at all time high rate, study reveals

The number of college admissions officers checking the social media profiles of applicants is at an all time high, according to a recent study from Kaplan Test Prep.

The study found that 40 percent of college admissions officers said they check applicants’ social media during the admissions process, although only 11 percent said they check “often.”

Social media negatively impacts a student’s application 37 percent of the time, the study also found. Officers found, in some cases, criminal offenses, photos of drug or alcohol use, racial prejudice or inappropriate behavior, according to the study.

Anecdotally, some admissions officers said they receive anonymous tips about “inappropriate behavior” and will check social media profiles to see if the tips pan out, according to the study.

In some cases, an applicant will invite admissions officers to look at his or her social media profiles, according to the study. In these cases, the applicant usually has a talent he or she wants to show off, such as art or music. The number of applicants who asked admissions officers to look at their social media profiles jumped 42 percent from 2014, according to the study.

Social media had a positive impact on applications 37 percent of the time, the study found.

Officers said they also use social media to verify awards and to do “extra due diligence” if scholarship money is on the line, according to the study.

“The growth of social media hasn’t made college admissions a whole new ballgame, but it’s definitely impacted the rules,” said Yariv Alpher, executive director and head of market research at Kaplan Test Prep, in the study. “What you post online can and may be used in your favor or against you, so it’s important to think about what you share. When in doubt, the best strategy may be to keep it to yourself.”