Movies

Benjamin: Presidential candidates pair well with Oscar nominated films

After nearly a year of speculation, intense debate and ideological warfare, the voting of the 2016 election finally begins Monday with the Iowa caucus.

I am a movie columnist, not a political columnist, and though these two areas are wholly different entities, the success of each mirrors the views and opinions of the American people. Maybe the results of Iowa and New Hampshire might give us some insight on who will win Best Picture at the Oscars, and the Best Picture winner could show who will win in November. Let’s look at who’s who:

Spotlight” – Hillary Clinton

The early favorite. When “Spotlight” came out, everyone was hailing it an instant classic with a clear shot at the Oscar trophy. Now, things look more complicated, as the film doesn’t really appeal to young audiences as hard as it tried to, and there is stiff competition from every angle.

The Big ShortBernie Sanders

Here we have the cool, hip movie that all the young people like and is a striking criticism of Wall Street. Both subjects were thought to lack experience or seriousness — as director Adam McKay’s previous films include the “Anchorman” movies and “Step Brothers” — but both McKay and Sanders have proven they’re in the race for the long haul.

The RevenantTed Cruz

“The Revenant” is a movie that is gruesome, gory and intense. These factors turn many people off, but impress others. There were high expectations for this movie from the get-go, and though it took a while to pick up momentum, it appears “The Revenant” is picking up steam despite alienating audiences left and right.

Mad Max: Fury Road” – Donald Trump

When “Mad Max: Fury Road” came out, who would have actually said it would be a Best Picture nominee? No one. When the film came out, who could have expected that not only would it be nominated, but it would also be considered a favorite within a slew of nominations? No one. And more than that, even though “Fury Road” does not fit the mold of the traditional Oscar movie, people love how bold, brash and different it is.

Bridge of SpiesJeb Bush

Let’s be honest — no one is really talking about “Bridge of Spies” anymore, despite the fact it has a hugely successful name behind it in Steven Spielberg, and more funding than we can imagine. It is simply a movie for older audiences that in a few years will be playing on cable television, just as in a few years we could maybe expect Jeb Bush to be doing a less executive government job pleasing older crowds with a noticeable absence of excitement.

The MartianMarco Rubio

Just as astronaut Mark Watney has been stranded on Mars unable to contribute to science on Earth, Marco Rubio has been stranded, unable to contribute to government from his Senate seat. “The Martian” performed better at the box office than anyone could have hoped, showing that it is a film that can appeal to all generations and audiences, even if it is more traditional than some would like.

BrooklynCarly Fiorina

“Brooklyn” features a woman who comes to America and falls in love. Carly Fiorina is similar, in a way, as she came from outside Washington as former president of Hewlett-Packard Company and fell in love with politics. Many have said the film “Brooklyn” as a whole is not amazing, though lead actress Saoirse Ronan’s performance really steals the show. Similarly, Fiorina’s campaign as a whole has not wowed too many people, but her debate performances have stuck out as highlights on the election circuit.

RoomJohn Kasich

“Room” is one of the smaller movies nominated for Best Picture, but its biggest problem is that not enough people have seen it. “Room” needs to be recognized to gain traction. It features a woman and her son who need to break out of being kidnapped, and adjusting to life once it happens. John Kasich needs to break out from under the other Republican heavyweights, and if he eventually was noticed, he might get a spot under the main spotlight.

Erik Benjamin is a sophomore television, radio and film major. His column appears weekly in Pulp. You can email him at [email protected] or follow him @embenjamin14 on Twitter.