Ice Hockey

Syracuse preps to face No. 2 Boston College in last game before month-long break

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Syracuse forward Heather Schwarz said one of the focus points in practice recently has been body control. The Orange takes on No. 2 Boston College on Thursday at 4 p.m.

Syracuse’s game against Boston College is more than a matchup against an undefeated team ranked second in the nation. It’s also a culmination of physical and mental fatigue for an SU team that hasn’t had a real break since the season began.

“This is, for our sport, a tough time,” SU head coach Paul Flanagan said. “Because we’ve been going pretty hard for a couple of months.”

On Thursday, Syracuse will host Boston College (19-0) at 4 p.m. at Tennity Ice Pavilion. Flanagan is conscious of the beating his team has taken so far, but is using the Boston College matchup as motivation. Syracuse is coming off a three-game unbeaten streak, and after a week of preparing for an offensive juggernaut of an opponent, the Orange is looking to close out 2015 strong and carry the momentum into a much-needed reprieve.

“Let this be your outlet this week,” Flanagan said of his team’s mindset. “We’re a decided underdog … but I think from our perspective, embrace it. Let’s have some fun with it.”

On Nov. 28 against North Dakota, Flanagan sat Jenn Gilligan, pointing to all the minutes the senior goalkeeper had logged and the long stretch of season still to go.

Just one game removed from a three and a half week break, Flanagan made sure a team gasping for air doesn’t have one foot out the door prior to playing Boston College. Yet for Gilligan, the timing is a benefit.

“It makes it a lot easier to put everything out on the line,” she said. “It is our last game and we’ve got a few weeks to recover.”

Syracuse spent the beginning half of the week prepping to be physical on the puck with a BC team chock-full of players with United States National Team experience.

Angling drills in particular were a point of emphasis. Forward Heather Schwarz said there has been a focus on body control, something Syracuse will try and use to push Boston College off the puck and stunt its potent offensive attack that averages 5.5 goals per game.

In Tuesday’s practice, Schwarz said that Syracuse threw the puck down into the corner, where players would take turns pushing it off down the ice, shielding one another to create space for open passing lanes.

“Really focusing on not just watching the puck,” Schwarz said. “Trying to use our body to get around them.”

Offensive intensity is one thing that Syracuse will attempt to use against BC, trying to exploit a weakness on a team that has very few.

While Flanagan praised the offensive talent of the Eagles, he also said that it has a defensive deficiency.

“They’re a real good skating team and they’re very skilled,” he said. “And they don’t spend a lot of time playing defense because they’re so gifted offensively. I think what we really want to focus on is getting the puck deep. Making them retreat. Make them play deep, because they don’t want to.”

Flanagan said it’s better the Orange doesn’t have to deal with a weekend series that will decide first-place standing in the conference.

Instead, it’s Syracuse’s toughest game of the season with predetermined expectations. Gilligan said it would be foolish to consider Syracuse anything but the underdog, and Flanagan joked there was a higher likelihood of Elvis walking through the door than Syracuse winning.

But in reality, he sees an opportunity.

Said Flanagan: “I think it’s a chance to pull an upset and really send ourselves off in a real good mindset for the break.”