Michael Gbinije drinks pickle juice to help with the effects of playing heavy minutes

Paul Schwedelson | Asst. Sports Editor

Michael Gbinije drinks pickle juice in front of reporters in the Syracuse locker room.

Michael Gbinije has been Syracuse’s most dangerous player throughout this entire season but about a month ago, he changed part of his diet: he started drinking pickle juice.

“I get an ‘Ew, why you drinking that?’ or ‘What’s that smell? I can’t believe you’re drinking that,’” Gbinije said.

But the pickle juice helps prevent cramps and Gbinije even drank some while speaking to reporters after playing 40 minutes in Syracuse’s 80-67 win over Texas Southern (1-10). Gbinije has played an average of 37.4 minutes, more minutes than anyone else for SU (10-3). Interim head coach Mike Hopkins said he might be one of the best players in the country and recently, the pickle juice has provided health benefits.

“(I) sweat out a lot of salt and electrolytes,” Gbinije said, “and (the pickle juice) helps my body replace them.”

Gatorade, Gbinije said, could have similar effects, although he cited its high sugar as a reason not to drink it. As Gbinije’s minutes early in the season were already high, he did some research by Googling. Despite its “nasty” taste and “bad” smell, he said he’s forced himself to drink it and even once drank as much as three-quarters of a bottle in one day.

None of Gbinije’s teammates have tried out his new drink, although he said some have asked him for a pickle before he takes a sip.

Regardless of the attention Gbinije’s pickle juice has gotten, it’s paying off for one of the most used players in all of college basketball.

“It’s good for you, you don’t cramp. Ever have pickle juice,” Hopkins asked a reporter, who said no. “It’s not good, don’t try it. Unless you cramp a lot.”