Style

12 days of holiday style

December is not typically considered the most fashionable month of the year. We have the tendency to want to bundle up in baggy sweats, marshmallow coats and fleece everything. But this year, avoid the temptation and test out some new trends underneath your parka. Here are 12 looks to try this holiday season:

Turtleneck sweater: Although I’m still scarred from being forced into turtlenecks as a toddler, the popular ’90s style is back and in full force this season. Instead of a tighter turtleneck shirt reminiscent of Joey from “Friends,” go for a chunky turtleneck sweater with a soft, loose neck.

Thigh-high boots: Mid-calf riding boots and combat boots are fading out as the shoe trend turns to the extremes: either short booties or tall thigh-highs. Black suede over-the-knee boots with a chunky heel can be worn under a skirt for a holiday party or paired with leggings to dress up a casual outfit for dinner.

White shearling jacket: When it comes to this trend, the fluffier the better. Furry shearling jackets feel like you’re hugging a lamb. The color stands out among a sea of black coats, and something about white in December always looks festive and chic.

Plaid blanket scarf: Trade your fall plaid flannel for a more wintry plaid style: a gigantic blanket scarf. This scarf, which is named for its tendency to be as large as a blanket — and its ability to function as one — makes any simple outfit on-trend.

Slit tunic: The coolest top of the moment is a long tunic with high slits on both hips. It looks almost like a dress at first, but jeans or other pants give it high-fashion flair. Wear with skinny jeans and heeled booties and keep accessories simple.

Flare jumpsuit: The classic jumpsuit is making its comeback with cinched legs and tank top straps. Ditch that basic look this winter and go all out with flare bottoms and bell sleeves. The look is bold but whimsical.

Lace-up dress: The December update on the deep V-neck dress is a lace-up look. This style shows some skin but is more alluring than a simple V-neck that bares it all.

Metallic anything: The holiday season is the time for glitz. Glitter and sequins are always acceptable, but an edgier way to show your glamorous side is with something in metallic silver, gold or slate. This shiny fabric would look gorgeous in any form — try a romper, tank top or pleated skirt.

Skinny scarf-necklace: This trend is a hybrid between a scarf and a necklace. The skinny scarf-necklace is silky and wraps around you like a tiny scarf, but is small enough that it is accessorized like a necklace. Wrap it around your neck once and have the ends dangle on your front, or spin it around so the ends fly behind you and only the collar-like band is seen from the front.

Poncho: Like the turtleneck, this garment brings back some frightening memories: pink glitter knit ponchos of the fourth grade, anyone? Now, the style is trendy and chic when done in a heavier knit with muted colors.

Fringe: The fringe look is typically seen in the fall with brown suede, but that doesn’t mean it can’t work in the winter. Opt for black instead of brown and try different fabrics. Leather fringe and metallic fringe add to the holiday spirit.

“Ugly” Christmas sweater: As we know, everything that was old becomes new again. Raid your mom’s closet for her old holiday sweaters because chances are, some of them are stylish again. Look for one that is oversized and has just the right amount of irony.

Jackie Homan is a sophomore magazine journalism major. You can email her at [email protected] or follow her @jackie_homan on Twitter.