week in review

Week in Pulp: Themed catering, Bieber Fever

Tiange Dong | Contributing Photographer

Meet Ryn Adkins and Rohan Thakore, the co-founders of Roux.

This week in Pulp, check out a student-run catering company and the premiere of “Agamemnon.” Read about these stories and more by clicking on the headings or orange text.

1. Roux dining

Co-founders Ryn Adkins and Rohan Thakore defined Roux as “a pop-up dining experience cross-pollinating food and design.” What the partners do is a new take on catering, where they source local ingredients and craft a menu based on a theme. Adkins and Thakore are both fifth-year industrial design students who met freshman year watching “Mad Men” in their floor lounge. Since creating Roux, they have taken it to various cities to put on events. Recently, they catered a party for some of Benjamin Tupper’s tenants in Syracuse. Both Adkins and Thakore said they hope to continue to work with food in the future.

Roux-Grid

Tiange Dong | Contributing Photographer

2. “Agamemnon” premiere

The latest play from Syracuse University’s Department of Drama, “Agamemnon,” is a tragedy that tells the tale of a Greek soldier returning home from the Trojan War. The play was full of dynamic visuals and had an impressive set, designed to look like a marble palace. According to the program, the show was made to feel more like a movie by playing dramatic music throughout, much like a movie’s score. O Candide-Johnson, a senior acting major, played the role of Agamemnon’s wife Clytemnestra. Many audience members said her moving performance was their favorite.

agamemnon

Courtesy of Mike Davis

3. Bieber Fever takes over

Humor columnist Evan Hohenwarter chronicled the wave of Bieber Fever that has recently struck the campus. Now that pop artist Justin Bieber has shed what Hohenwarter called his “middle school R&B” image, he is being played at every party on campus and is putting strain on relationships. While some have jumped on the bandwagon wholeheartedly, others are more skeptical of his sudden acceptance. For fans that have been with him since the beginning, though, this hysteria isn’t new. Hohenwarter wrote that divisions across these lines have broken up entire friend groups. Only time will tell if they can mend their differences.

4. Myslice Guide takes on the 90s

If you’re still deciding on classes for Spring 2016, get inspired by your favorite ’90s cartoons. This semester’s Myslice Guide features Angelica from “Rugrats,”  CatDog, Eliza Thornberry of “The Wild Thornberrys,” Gerald of “Hey Arnold!” and Reggie of “Rocket Power.” The classes are chosen based on what the character would choose if they were students at SU. There’s something there for the explorer, storyteller or mischief-maker in everyone. If you’re still stressed about registration, check out this guide to the stages of class registration for a laugh.

myslice guide

Honni David | Contributing Illustrator

5. Balmain for less

Balmain’s highly anticipated collection for H&M sold out within hours of going on sale, much to the dismay of shopaholics everywhere. If you are still looking to get the Balmain look for less (even cheaper than H&M), try out these four tips for achieving the fashion house’s signature edge. Layer leather on leather, add sparkly embellishments, throw in a pop of color and use bold accessories. To see  visuals of these suggestions, check out the full story here.

balmain

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer