Week in Review

Week in Pulp: Raury concert, traveling play

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

Raury wowed the audience with his dance moves, spinning, jumping and high-fiving the crowd.

This week in Pulp, check out the final Bandersnatch concert of the semester and a play with only four cast members. Check out these stories and more by going to Pulp or clicking on the headings or orange text.

1. Raury concert

Raury, an eclectic hip-hop artist from Atlanta, performed on Wednesday for the final Bandersnatch concert of the semester. He personalized the show by talking to the audience and sharing his connection to his songs.  He stayed true to the mixed-genre style he is known for and lifted the crowd up with his passion and energy. His opening act, Demo Taped, performed with technical difficulties to a subdued crowd, but once he admitted he was nervous the crowd relaxed a bit. Check out the best photographs from the night here.

110515_P_raury7_moriahratner_ape

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

2. Craig as Bond

In anticipation of “Spectre,” movie columnist Kyle Stevens ranked the first three James Bond films featuring Daniel Craig. “Quantum of Solace” came in last for him, as it has for many other Bond critics. Stevens said it painted Bond as a simple action hero instead of showcasing the intrigue and drama that made the franchise great. “Skyfall,” the third Craig film, brought the franchise back with a better plot and a darker mood. Stevens said the best, though, is “Casino Royale,” Craig’s first stint as Bond. He said the film’s stand-alone quality despite the public’s initial disapproval of Craig puts it above the others.

3. Art with purpose

This July, sophomore Carly Lindmeier started 65 Wooden Roses, through which she sells decorative monogram signs. For Lindmeier, the motivation behind her business is deeply personal. She donates 20 percent of the profits to research for Cystic Fibrosis, a disease she was diagnosed with at three months old. After watching several friends die from the disease, Lindmeier said her business helps her cope. Lindmeier said she is excited to be at SU now after worrying about life expectancy throughout much of high school.

110315_P_a1_LoganReidsma_PE

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

4. Music & Literature Magazine

Graduate student Taylor Davis-Van Atta started Music & Literature Magazine after he worked at a independent publishing house. Now, the iSchool student is the publisher and co-editor of the international magazine. He and a team of six work to produce the magazine twice a year with each issue showcasing three artists that are relatively obscure. Davis-Van Atta said he would like the magazine to become more integrated with SU. For now, though, the team is busy putting on live events around the world and getting their artists noticed.

5. “New Kid”

Tuesday and Thursday mornings this semester, four SU Drama students head out to a central New York school and perform “New Kid.” The play tells the story of Nick, an immigrant who has a difficult time adjusting to life in the United States. Crystal Ferreiro, a senior acting major who plays Nick’s mom, said the traveling and early mornings can be difficult, but the reactions from the elementary school children they perform for make it worth it. By the end of their tour, they will have performed for over 9,000 students in 23 schools, according to an SU news release.

Illo Web

Autumn Wilson | Contributing Illustrator