Volleyball

Syracuse falls to Virginia Tech, 3-1

Syracuse (20-8, 11-6 Atlantic Coast) was unable to handle the Virginia Tech Hokies (16-13, 7-10) on Friday, losing the match, 3-1.

Outside hitter Lindsey Owens led the charge for VT, slamming home two consecutive kills to close out the win and finish her day with 19 overall. Second to Owens in kills was Syracuse outside hitter Silvi Uattara, who paced the Orange with 17.

Syracuse outside hitter Gosia Wlaszczuk had a game-high 43 assists, but the Orange was still out-killed 61-51. Wlaszczuk was the only member of the Orange to tally more than 10 assists, while a more balanced Hokie offense had two players finish the game with more than 20.

Belle Sand, Nicolette Seratorre and Silvi Uattara each recorded more than 10 digs for the Orange. However, a 21-dig performance from Kenedy McGrath helped the Hokies outdig Syracuse, 68-58.

The Orange fought deep into the fourth set to stay alive, tying the score at 19 on a kill from Leah Levert. But the sophomore hitter’s kill was the last of what Syracuse could muster, and VT went on a 4-1 run to win the game shortly after.

The loss to VT snaps a three-game, conference win streak for Syracuse, and ties it with Miami for fifth place in the ACC in advance of its rematch with fourth-place Pittsburgh (22-7, 12-5 ACC).

The Orange lost its first match against Pitt earlier this season at home, 3-1, and will take on the Panthers in Pittsburgh on Sunday at 1 p.m.