University Politics

SU names members of Maxwell, VPA dean search committees

Syracuse University announced Friday the members of two search committees who will help identify candidates that will succeed the deans of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs and the College of Visual and Performing Arts, respectively.

The Maxwell search committee will be choosing a candidate to succeed Dean James Steinberg, who announced his intent to step down at the end of the 2015-16 academic year on Sept. 1. Steinberg has been the dean of Maxwell since 2011. After stepping down, he will continue to teach in Maxwell as a University Professor of social science, international affairs and law, according to the release.

David Van Slyke, associate dean and chair of the Department of Public Administration and International Affairs and the Louis A. Bantle Chair in Business and Government Policy in Maxwell, will be leading the Maxwell search committee, according to an SU News release.

“This is an exceptional committee that represents the depth, breadth and excellent reputation of faculty scholars, staff and students,” Van Slyke said in the release. “And the committee highlights the very best that Maxwell has to offer to prospective dean candidates regarding our bright and optimistic future as a school and leader in the social sciences and public affairs.”

In addition to Van Slyke, members of the Maxwell dean search committee include, according to the release:

• Carol Faulkner, professor of history
  • Madeleine Hamlin, graduate student studying geography
  • William Horrace, professor and chair of economics
  • Azra Hromadzic, assistant professor of anthropology
  • Thomas Moylan Keck, Michael O. Sawyer Chair of Constitutional Law and Politics and associate professor of political science
  • Steven Lux, director of the Executive Education Program in Maxwell
  • Howard Phanstiel, University Trustee
  • Karin Ruhlandt, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Rebecca Lynn Schewe, assistant professor of sociology
  • Amy Schwartz, professor of economics and public administration and international affairs and Daniel Patrick Moynihan Professor of Public Affairs
  • Aysha Seedat, Student Association president and senior public policy major
  • Richard Thompson, University Trustee
  • James Willie, member, Maxwell Advisory Board
  • Jamie Winders, associate professor, chair and O’Hanley Faculty Scholar of geography

Spencer Stuart, a global executive search consulting firm, has been chosen to help with the search process for the next dean of Maxwell, according to the release.

The VPA search committee will be choosing a candidate to succeed Dean Ann Clarke, who announced her intent to step down at the end of the 2015-16 academic year on Sept. 10. Clark was appointed dean of VPA in 2008. After stepping down, she will take a one-year research leave and then return to the VPA faculty in fall 2017, according to the release.

Charles Morris III, professor and chair of the Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies and an affiliated professor with the LGBT Studies Program, will be the chair of the VPA dean search committee, according to the release.

“I feel fortunate to be joined in this vital search committee work by a remarkably talented and dedicated group of people who care deeply about the future of VPA,” Morris said in the release. “These delegates reflect a careful selection process that prioritized representation, diversity and commitment in the interest of launching a successful search with the confidence and encouragement of the entire VPA community. We are eager to get to work.”

In addition to Morris, members of the VPA dean search committee include, according to the release:

• Sang-Mi Borneman, graduate student studying music education
  • Yvonne Buchanan, associate professor of art
  • Markova Casseus, senior communication and rhetorical studies major
  • Felix Cochren, associate professor of theater design and technology
  • Lauren Cramer, University Trustee
  • James Fathers, professor of industrial and interaction design, director of the School of Design and Iris Magidson Endowed Chair of Design Leadership
  • Christopher Fox, assistant dean of information technology in VPA
  • Dennis Gilbert, member of the VPA Advisory Council
  • Rachel Carey Hall, associate professor of communication and rhetorical studies
  • Heath Hanlin, associate professor and department chair of transmedia and program coordinator of computer art and animation
  • Lucinda Havenhand, associate professor of environmental and interior design and associate dean of research and graduate studies
  • Laura Heyman, associate professor in the Department of Transmedia and program coordinator of art photography
  • Stephanie James, director of the School of Art and Doris E. Klein Endowed Professor of Art
  • Joanna Masingila, dean and professor for the School of Education
  • Lisa Steele, assistant director of the Bandier Program
  • Martha Sutter, interim director of the Setnor School of Music
  • John Warren, associate professor of applied music and performance (conducting) and director of choral activities
  • Peter Yenawine, member of the VPA Advisory Council
  • Ralph Zito, professor and department chair of drama

Korn Ferry, a global management consulting firm, has been selected to assist with the search effort for the next dean of VPA, according to the release.