University Politics

SA Briefs: 3 takeaways from Monday’s meeting (Nov. 16)

Sam Blum | Sports Editor

Mark Coyle, SU's director of athletics, will meet with Student Association President Aysha Seedat on Wednesday to discuss the creation of a student athletic fee at SU.

Here are three takeaways from Student Association’s Monday night meeting in Maxwell Auditorium:

1. Uber letter approved

The SA assembly voted unanimously to approve sending a letter to the New York State Assembly arguing for the legalization of ride-hailing services, such as Uber, in New York state. SA President Aysha Seedat will send the letter before the end of the semester, with the state assembly set to convene for its next legislative session in January.

1. Report discussed

SA assembly speaker Janine Bogris presented the Working Group on Free Speech’s recommendations to Chancellor Kent Syverud on how to improve free speech and free speech policies at Syracuse. The working group, which Bogris was a member of, submitted its report to Syverud in September, and SA was able to see it for the first time on Monday. SA will now be able to review the report and provide its own stance on it. SA’s deadline for doing so is April 16, Seedat said.

1. Seedat to meet with Coyle

Seedat will meet Wednesday with SU Director of Athletics Mark Coyle to discuss the potential for a student athletic fee at SU. Seedat has been pushing for a $100 automatic fee to replace the way students buy season tickets for football and men’s basketball. Last month, SA and Otto’s Army created a joint committee to draft a proposal for the fee.