Orange Girl takes crown at Miss Syracuse pageant

Drew Osumi | Staff Photographer

Meghan Sinisi was crowned Miss Syracuse 2016 last week. She said she continues to do pageants because they help her give back to the community.

When Meghan Sinisi heard her name called, she was beaming. Her mother, on the other hand, was crying and shaking so much she could not take a picture.

Sinisi was just crowned Miss Syracuse 2016.

She is better known to some as a different Syracuse icon: the Orange Girl. She has twirled for Syracuse University since her freshman year, and uses it for the talent portion of her pageants. Despite a busy schedule, Sinisi said juggling these commitments is worth it because they bring her closer to the community. Since being crowned on Nov. 8, she has been actively involved both in the community and with her platform advocating for children with autism.

Sinisi isn’t new to pageant life. The junior communication sciences and disorders major performed in her first pageant at age three. This March was her first stab at pageants since her debut as a toddler. It was then that she took the title of Miss Liberty 2015, which qualified her for the Miss New York pageant.

I had no idea what I was doing. I thought it was going to be an experience to learn from for the next one.
Meghan Sinisi

However, Sinisi went into her latest pageant, the 2016 Miss Syracuse Triple Crown, set on winning Miss Syracuse. Although all local titles are equal, Sinisi said Miss Syracuse was important to her because it’s most recognizable and would allow her to do more work in the community.

Although she knew she wanted to do pageants before coming to college, Sinisi held off on competing freshman year until she knew how to handle being the Orange Girl on top of classes.

Her mother, Lori Sinisi, said her and Sinisi’s baton coach, Debbie Bernhart, advised her against doing pageants in her first year for similar reasons. They encouraged her to do research for preparation instead.

Her sophomore year was a different story. Sinisi said she decided she was ready to compete after watching the 2015 Miss Syracuse Triple Crown Competition last November.

111615_P_a1dom_DrewOsumi_SP

Drew Osumi | Staff Photographer

Lori Sinisi recalled telling Bernhart, “I don’t think we can hold her back this year.”

Sinisi got to work preparing for the pageant by picking a talent, reading up on current events and crafting a platform. Choosing twirling as her talent was a no-brainer, she said.

Although ready to compete for Miss Liberty, Sinisi said she was still nervous about being new to the pageant circuit. She said she feared the girls would be catty, but she actually made friends.

“It’s amazing how the girls take each other under their wings,” said Lori Sinisi, who has attended all of her pageants. “It’s really inspirational.”

These new friends helped her feel more comfortable competing for Miss New York, Sinisi said. It was a major pageant, as the winner would be able to compete in Miss America. Although she didn’t win, she said the experience was still rewarding. Now that she is Miss Syracuse, she is eligible to compete in the statewide competition again.

I knew some of the girls were much more experienced than I am. Some have been doing pageants for five years. I was still a little upset about not making the top 15, though.
Meghan Sinisi

Despite setbacks, Sinisi said she continues to do pageants because they help her give back to the community. Since being crowned Miss Syracuse, she has made a variety of appearances in the community, including handing out handmade cards to veterans at the Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center on Veteran’s Day.

Sinisi said the most special moment in her pageant career was when Gavin Bach, a child with autism she spends time with, hugged her. It was a major moment for Bach because he, like most others with autism, does not like physical contact.

Sinisi chose to advocate for autism awareness and acceptance under the slogan, “Different Pieces to the Same Puzzle,” as her platform when she got involved in pageants in 2015.

Sinisi said her original platform vision was to increase awareness about autism, but it has gradually moved toward improving acceptance of children with autism.

She has raised money for organizations, but her latest focus has been on helping Bach. Bach’s family has been raising money for years to buy him an autism service dog.

Sinisi said she heard about Bach’s story and decided she had to help. She reached out to the family and held a talent show in April to benefit them. She said she has another project in the works, although she cannot share details yet.

Desiree Bach, Gavin’s mother, said she was amazed that a complete stranger cared about their cause. As of now, Sinisi has raised around $200 for Gavin, but the Bach family knows she is planning to do more.

She’s made a world of difference for us.
Desiree Bach

Her son and daughter are both delighted by Sinisi, Desiree Bach said. Sinisi keeps in touch with the family by calling nearly every week, as well as the occasional visit.

Now, Sinisi said she is looking forward to fulfilling her duties as Miss Syracuse. She said she hopes to partner with more local businesses and start new projects, as well as continue with her platform.

Although Sinisi has to find time for her crown, her role as Orange Girl, two jobs, a sorority and classes, she said it’s all worth it when she is able to give back to Syracuse.

Said Sinisi: “Miss America isn’t about me. It’s for other people.”