Election 2015

Election results to know for Onondaga County and city of Syracuse

Benjamin Wilson | Staff Photographer

Howie Hawkins, who was defeated in his run for city auditor, speaks on the phone as he waits for early results to come in during an election result party at the Syracuse Polish Home. The Green Party had five candidates on the ballot and none were elected.

While this year was not a presidential election or a Congressional election year, there were still important races in Onondaga County and in the city of Syracuse. Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney won a third term in office, beating Democratic challenged Toby Shelley.

Here are the results of several other Onondaga County and city of Syracuse elections:

Onondaga County Clerk 

Lisa Dell, a Republican, won the position of county clerk over Kerin Rigney, a Democrat. Dell, who is currently the Lysander town clerk, had 40,193 votes, while Rigney, who is currently a DeWitt town board member, had 25,243 votes, as of 11:10 p.m. 

Onondaga County Comptroller 

Robert Antonacci II, a Republican, won the position of county comptroller over James Romeo, a Democrat. Antonacci, who unsuccessfully ran in 2014 for New York state comptroller, sought his third term as county comptroller and had 42,819 votes as of 11:10 p.m. Romeo, who lost a primary election in 2014 to run for Syracuse City Court judge, had 23,798 votes as of 11:10 p.m. 

Onondaga County District Attorney

William Fitzpatrick, a Republican, won his unopposed run for district attorney. Fitzpatrick garnered 53,196 votes as of 11:10 p.m.

Onondaga County Legislature District 9

Peggy Chase, a Democrat, won the position in the district over Robert Andrews, a Republican. Chase had 1,471 votes and Andrews had 1,212 votes as of 11:10 p.m. 

Onondaga County Legislature District 17

Linda Ervin, a Democrat, won her unopposed run for the legislature’s 17th district. Ervin garnered 3,264 votes as of 11:10 p.m. 

Syracuse City Auditor

Incumbent Martin Masterpole, a Democrat, defeated Green Party candidate Howie Hawkins, who has run for office more than 20 times since 1993. Hawkins has lost the election in all of his races. Masterpole had 9,358 votes and Hawkins had 5,015 votes as of 11:10 p.m.

New York state Supreme Court 5th District

Edward Carni, a Republican, ran unopposed and garnered more than 90 percent of the vote.

New York State Assembly 128th District

Democrat Pamela Hunter, who is currently a Syracuse Common Councilor At-Large, defeated Republican challenger John Sharon by about 15 percent to win a seat in the New York State Assembly.