Crime

DPS to increase patrols on South Campus over Thanksgiving break

DPS will increase patrols and try to make sure all South Campus apartment doors are locked.

Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety will have more patrols on South Campus over Thanksgiving break and is putting an emphasis on locking all doors and securing any belongings to prevent theft while students are away.

DPS Detective Cleveland McCurty, Jr. said DPS has established a pattern of security that is used over breaks. This pattern consists of increased patrols on South Campus as well as assuring that all South Campus apartments have locked doors, he said.

McCurty said DPS has been coordinating with the Office of Residence Life to send out an email blast to students, especially those living in South Campus apartments.

Students are reminded to lock their windows and doors, put away any valuables and communicate with roommates so whoever leaves last makes sure they lock up, McCurty said. Throughout the semester, McCurty said there have been a number of thefts in South Campus and off-campus apartments, and with more students away, the threat of burglary increases.

DPS will also be conducting door checks, meaning that officers will go door to door for South Campus apartments to check to see if any unattended apartments have unlocked doors, McCurty said.

If an officer finds a door to be unlocked, they will knock to see if anybody is in the apartment, McCurty said. If the apartment is vacant, they will lock it for the residents staying in that apartment in order to inhibit theft.

Additional measures will be taken to prevent burglaries on South Campus, McCurty said. An increased number of patrols will occur due to how open the spaces between the apartments are in comparison to dorm rooms in residence halls. The extra coverage is considered to be a necessary precaution in preventing theft, he said.

There will not be any increased patrol by DPS on Main Campus and security will operate as it normally does, McCurty said. He said because such a large number of students will be away, there is no need for an increase in security for students living in residence halls.

If there is an emergency on campus, DPS and other resources will react as they normally would, McCurty said.

In addition to security changes on the SU campus, there will also be changes in dining facility and residence hall front desk hours. Catherine Kellman, assistant director for South Campus in the ORL, said all dining facilities will be closed, with the exception of Schine Dining on Main Campus and the Goldstein Student Center on South Campus.

Kellman added that Schine and Goldstein will both be running on reduced hours, which have been posted for students. Residence hall front desks will also run on reduced hours, she said. She added that the dining hall hours have been posted.