Dajuan Coleman seeing limited minutes as he eases back into Syracuse rotation

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Dajuan Coleman has played just 27 minutes in two games this season after not playing for Syracuse for nearly two whole seasons.

Dajuan Coleman sat and watched while a freshman did things at center Coleman can’t yet do, and others he never will.

Tyler Lydon played 31 minutes in Syracuse’s win against St. Bonaventure on Tuesday, the majority coming in the middle of the 2-3 zone. He hit two late 3s while Coleman logged only 14 minutes, four points and four rebounds.

The junior isn’t ready for those minutes after an almost two-year hiatus from regular season action. But head coach Jim Boeheim doesn’t care if a first-year bench player sees more than double the time of a starter at a position only Coleman naturally plays.

“I’m here to win, I don’t give a sh*t who plays,” Boeheim said after the game.

Through two games, Coleman has played 27 of 80 minutes, taken five shots, grabbed six rebounds and scored six points. In his place, Lydon has posted 17 points and 17 boards to begin his career as a relief valve to Coleman’s re-integration that’s off to a rocky start. The Orange (2-0) hasn’t suffered yet as a result of its primary center shouldering a fraction of the load, and Saturday’s 7 p.m. matchup with Elon (2-1) at the Carrier Dome could be another winnable game the head coach uses to slowly ease Coleman back.

“We’re going to try and keep getting Dajuan going, I said this before,” Boeheim said. “He hasn’t played in two years, I didn’t expect him to come out here and get 15 points and 10 rebounds.”

Twenty seconds into Tuesday’s game, Coleman clanked a right-handed floater off the right side of the rim. On the other end, he was slow to drop to the low block and SBU’s Denzel Gregg converted an easy layup. Lydon replaced Coleman with 13:54 remaining in the first half and the junior didn’t re-enter until after the break. Boeheim later said Lydon simply played better defense.

It wasn’t until Tyler Roberson fouled out with under five minutes left that Coleman gave a glimpse of what could materialize, registering three rebounds, a dunk and a steal in the final 4:27.

“I thought it was even good at the end for Dajuan to get back in and grab a couple rebounds,” Boeheim said, “and I think that’s good for him.”

Elon’s top four scorers through its three games are all 6-foot-4 or shorter. Its tallest rotation player is 6 feet, 8 inches and the Phoenix lacks a low-post threat that could consistently expose Coleman.

Lydon has been more effective in his ability to create mismatches and it could give him the edge again on Saturday. He’s proven a viable replacement for the natural center, even if he wasn’t expecting it.

“I just go with the flow,” Lydon said.

It’s the Orange’s last game before heading to the Bahamas to face Charlotte and either No. 19 Connecticut or No. 24 Michigan.

Right now, Boeheim doesn’t need Coleman to win. But it won’t be long before he might.

“I think Dajuan could still help us. I think it will take time, I don’t expect it right away,” Boeheim said. “We’re just going to have to see how long it goes, but I don’t know I really don’t know the answer.”