weekend plans

Weekend plans: Orange Central, haunted rock concert

Liam Sheehan | Contributing Photographer

Get pumped for Homecoming and alumni weekend.

Homecoming is only the start of all the events in Syracuse this weekend. Find out what’s happening on and off campus with Pulp’s weekend plans. Click on the headings or orange text to learn more.

Darius Rucker

Country superstar Darius Rucker will rock out at the Oncenter this Saturday as part of his “Southern Style” tour. This tour is showcasing his fifth album of the same name and was extended into the fall to include a stop in Syracuse, New York, among others. This is the second time Rucker has visited the Oncenter; he came in 2011 with Trace Adkins and Frankie Ballard. This time around, Rucker will be accompanied by country artists David Nail and Cam. He’s best known for his song, “Wagon Wheel,” which hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Country chart. Tickets are still on sale and cost between $35.75 and $55.75.

Orange Central

This weekend, Orange Central Homecoming will take over the SU campus with events for old and current students alike. For the sports fans, the Orangemen will face the Pittsburgh Panthers in the Dome this Saturday, so make sure to check out this primer to keep up-to-date on the team. For a special addition to the game, the Homecoming King and Queen will be crowned, so check out this rundown of the court to see who may be the royal couple. For the stargazers, the recently renovated Holden Observatory will be open on Friday to students and guests. According the event description, attendees will join the physics faculty and graduates students to gaze through the 128-year-old telescope. To see other cool Orange Central events, check out this preview Pulp put together.

Mat Kearney

Mat Kearney and Parachute are coming to the Westcott Theater on Friday for Kearney’s “Just Kids” tour. You probably know Kearney’s song “Ships in the Night” and Parachute’s “She Is Love,” both of which are slow crooners. If you’re looking for a more low-key Friday night, this is probably your ticket. Kearney’s latest album, also titled “Just Kids,” is a nod to his early days in Oregon and a tribute to his roots, according to the Westcott Theater’s website. Tickets will are still on sale and are $25 each, with doors opening at 7 p.m.

The Underpants

The latest play to grace the Syracuse Stage is “The Underpants,” written by actor and comedian Steve Martin. The show opened Wednesday night and will continue through Nov. 8. According to the Syracuse Stage website, the show begins with a “very public wardrobe malfunction” and takes a stab at instant fame. Tickets to the show cost $38 for students. Check back with Pulp later this week for a review of the comedy.

Rock and Roll Freak Show

On Friday, check out a rock ‘n’ roll concert with a side a haunted fun at the Rock and Roll Freak Show at the Landmark Theater. The theater is famous for it’s ghost, Clarissa, which pairs perfectly with the Halloween-themed concert. Local rock acts, including Pale Green Stars, one of the concert’s organizers, will be performing on the upper level of the theater. The festivities will also include a “ghost hunt,” costume contest and palm reading. Tickets are $10 and available here. Check out Pulp’s full story on the event here for more of the spooky details.