Week In Review

Week in Pulp: Syracuse University Press, Raury

Emma Wishnow | Staff Photographer

Syracuse University Press designers keep these around for inspiration.

This week, Pulp brought you University Union’s latest announcement, a plea for high-quality fashion and a thriving campus book publisher. Check out these stories and more in this “Week in Pulp.” Click on the headings or orange text to see the full story.

1. Syracuse University Press adapts to survive

Syracuse University Press goes through a rigorous process to decide what books they will publish. This is for a good reason: One title costs $10,000 to produce. Despite the cost, the press still publishes 50-60 books a year, half in the spring and half in the fall. In order to compete with larger publishers, most of their books focus in four areas: Middle East studies, Irish studies, regional studies and television popular culture. This focus allows them to use the best scholars to review the books before they choose to publish them. To learn more about the press and how it adapts in this digital age, read the full story here.

102115_P_A1Supress_EmmaWishnow_SP

Emma Wishnow | Staff Photographer

2. Raury to headline second Bandersnatch concert

Hip-hop folk artist Raury will headline next Bandersnatch concert, University Union announced Wednesday night. Raury is a Georgia native who is known for his fluid sound that switches between hip-hop, funk and soul. To learn more about the artist, check out music columnist Brett Weiser-Schlesinger’s take on his sound. Also performing at the concert is Demo Taped, another Georgian artist and is relatively new to music. Pulp did research on the artists for you, so read up six quick facts here.

Raury_Digital

Courtesy of University Union

3. Students should invest in high-quality fashion

Style columnist Jackie Homan spoke her mind this week about the pitfalls of buying cheap fast-fashion. She wrote that while it may seem economical at first, the less-expensive pieces never last long or hold your interest. If you have $50, it’s better to spend it on one higher-quality item that you know you love and need, rather than a few things you sort-of want. That way, she wrote, your closet is full of clothes you will actually wear and cherish.

4. Six Syracuse-themed costumes

Humor columnist Danny Cuneo did the thinking for you this week and put together six Syracuse-inspired Halloween costumes. While “Netflix Binge-Watcher” may be more for college students in general, you can’t be more Syracuse than “Scary Guys Who Yell About God on Marshall Street.” Unfortunately, for that costume Cuneo wrote that  you won’t be able to get candy because you’ll be too busy yelling on Marshall Street. If you are still looking for a costume for Saturday, check out Cuneo’s story here to get step-by-step instructions on how to be a classic Syracuse persona.