Week in Review

Week in Pulp: Light Work photographer, ‘Broad City’

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

The crowd went wild at Wednesday's X Ambassadors concert.

With a sold-out concert, comedy show announcement and an award-winning photographer, Pulp covered it all for you this week. Check out these stories and more in this week’s review.  Click on the headings or orange text to read more.

1. Thilde Jensen

me tent other scanner 001

Courtesy of Thilde Jensen

Photographer Thilde Jensen talked with Pulp about her latest collection at Light Work, her illness and her journey to becoming a successful photographer. Jensen has Idiopathic Environmental Intolerances, or environmental illness, which causes her to have allergy-like reactions to pollutants and inks. This illness caused her to move from place to place, looking for somewhere that wouldn’t make her sick. She eventually settled in Arizona, where she learned how to better cope with her illness and decided to turn the camera on herself to document her struggles. That series, “The Canaries,” won her a Light Work Grant. Now, she is back in Light Work, where she is displaying a series on homelessness in Syracuse.

2. X Ambassadors concert

100815_P_xambassadors7_chaseguttman_Ape

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

Alternative rock band X Ambassadors performed on Wednesday at the first Bandersnatch concert of the year. They electrified the sold-out crowd and brothers Sam and Casey Harris were full of energy throughout the night. Things slowed down, though, when Sam was left alone on stage to sing “American Oxygen,” a song he co-wrote. Music columnist Isha Damle said, “The song showcased his talents as a lyricist, guitarist and vocalist.” Opening act Tribe Society also got a lot of love from the crowd, especially the flutist, Seth Hachen. Their remixes of popular songs kept the crowd engaged because many people most likely hadn’t heard many of their songs before. Check out some of Damle’s fast reactions from the concert here, as well as a gallery of photos.

3. Junior helps female inmates

100615_P_WW_BenjaminWilson_SP

Benjamin Wilson | Staff Photographer

Sarah Mikal, a junior finance and marketing major, is helping female inmates find jobs after release from prison. As the project leader of Best Foot Forward, she and her team teach skills like Microsoft Word and coding to the inmates to help build their resume. Mikal also coordinates with local businesses to set up interviews for them once they are released. She said the program works to prepare the women for life outside prison, which can be difficult to adjust to.

4. A night at DJ’s alone

Humor columnist Danny Cuneo held nothing back this week when he shared the night he went to DJ’s On The Hill by himself. Things quickly escalated from a calm night of FIFA to a near-empty bottle of Captain Morgan and it went downhill from there. Even though his friends were not going out, Cuneo decided that he had to go to DJ’s and would let nothing stop him. He made it to the bar, but was kicked out and had to stumble home where he promptly threw up and cried for his mother. For the best part, though, you’ll have to read the story.

5. “Broad City” coming to SU

Courtesy of University Union

Courtesy of University Union

Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson of “Broad City” fame will be performing at SU on Oct. 24. The show, presented by University Union and the Traditions Commission, will be the second comedy act of the semester. Glazer and Jacobson are the stars of “Broad City,” a television show that was nominated for a Critic’s Choice Award for Best Comedy Series. To learn more about the two women, check out this article.