week in review

Week in News: SU campus locked down, new suspects in Pan Am 103 bombing and more

Logan Reidsma | The Daily Orange

A search for suspects in a homicide that fled near Oakwood Cemetery caused Syracuse University to lock down for about two hours Wednesday night.

1. SU campus locked down following homicide, search for suspects

Syracuse University was locked down for about two hours Wednesday night after suspects from a homicide on Hope Avenue fled toward Oakwood Cemetery on Comstock Avenue. An Orange Alert told the community to shelter-in-place and was lifted around 10:30 p.m., though the suspects had not been found.

More: Campus lockdown | Timeline of events | Student reactions | Orange Alert

101515_hopeaveshooting_LoganReidsma_PE

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

2. Prosecutors reportedly identify 2 Libyans as Pan Am 103 bombing suspects

Scottish prosecutors have identified two Libyans as suspects in the Pan Am 103 bombing, the Associated Press reported Thursday. Scottish Prosecutor Frank Mulholland and U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch have requested permission from Libyan authorities for Scottish police and the FBI to interview the two unnamed suspects in Tripoli. The bombing, which occurred on Dec. 21, 1988, killed 270 people, including 35 Syracuse University students.

More: New suspects

2874518-989596091

Daily Orange file photo

3. Common Council to vote on drinking ordinance, Student Association calls for changes to ‘Kiss Cam’

The Syracuse Common Council voted on an ordinance that would make drinking off campus while making excessive noise a prisonable offense. The penalty for offenders of extreme noise and underage drinking could face a fine between $100 and $500 or up to 15 days in jail. The Daily Orange will keep you updated on the status of the vote.

Additionally, SA passed a bill calling for administration to ensure that it “prevents non-consensual situations” in order for the Kiss Cam to be reinstated.

More: Drinking ordinance, ‘Kiss Cam’

082314_N_Castle_EmmaFierberg_SP

Emma Fierberg | Staff Photographer

4. Another former students files lawsuit against SU, St. Joseph’s Hospital

A former Syracuse University student who claims he was involuntarily confined to the St. Joseph’s Hospital psychiatric ward is now suing the university and the hospital, making him the second student to come forward with such allegations. Andrew Smith claims he was held against his will in St. Joseph’s psychiatric ward for six days in March 2013.

More: Andrew Smith lawsuit | Kaitlin Taylor claims she was involuntarily held in hospital psychiatric ward

Syracuse students went to the school infirmary due to a physical illness and found themselves locked up against their will in the mental ward of St. Joseph’s Hospital.
Marc Held, Andrew Smith's attorney

5. Hearing for Nu Alpha Phi hazing case postponed until mid-November

The hearing for a case involving the two former Syracuse University students charged with hazing was postponed until mid-November because one of the students’ attorneys got into an accident. Jeffrey Yam and Tae Kim, both no longer enrolled at SU, were arrested and charged with hazing in the first degree, a misdemeanor, in March. They pleaded not guilty. A hearing for the case was originally scheduled for Wednesday, but a city judge decided to delay the hearing until Nov. 16.

More: Hearing postponed | Members arrested | Pledges punished for weeks according to police

Justin Mattingly | New Editor