Thursday Morning Roundtable discusses civic engagement in SU community

The award-winning public service program Thursday Morning Roundtable, of University College, celebrated 50 years of civic engagement on Wednesday with an honorary breakfast event.

Thursday Morning Roundtable has provided the Syracuse University community with more than 1,600 programs that have discussed critical issues since it’s birth in 1965, according to TMR’s website. The program serves as a neutral body for facilitating discussion about problems that relate to public interest, according to its website. Some topics include health care reform, civil rights, social justice, hotel restoration, the New York State Fair and transportation.

Each Thursday, active members meet to discuss issues that affect the community. There, a panel of informed speakers is invited to provide insight on certain topics. This allows members to engage with speakers and ask questions.

The discussions are broadcast on the radio every Sunday.

University College Dean Bea González said TMR is important for the increased intercommunication between sectors of the university and community.

“Thursday Morning Roundtable embodies one of the core missions of University College — to act as a bridge across the various sectors in our community — educators, business partners and local government,” González said.

The chief initiative of TMR is to provide a space for its members to learn and engage in conversations that aim to increase community awareness of pressing issues and inspire action as a result, said Sandra Barett, director of community programs for TMR.

González said it is a place where “participants build relationships that lead to more effective problem solving.”

Members come from a wide range of positions in the community, including business, educational and civic leadership backgrounds.

Barett said this is “critical to the democracy” as it creates an informed citizenry. She added that this is important because issues can be discussed intelligently and applied affectively to make informed and reasonable decisions.

“It’s about listening and learning,” Barret said. “And applying what you’ve learned to the work.”

She added that diverse membership is also important.

“Whether you’re a board member, government official, a business person, philanthropist, if you’re running a communications agency or you’re a grassroots person,” Barrett said. “… The idea is that if you know a wide range of issues you’re better prepared.”

The program’s action extends outside of weekly meetings, too. The Thursday Morning Roundtable created the Levi L. Smith scholarship fund named after its founder when recognizing its 25th anniversary. This scholarship provides means for part-time students to continue gaining an education.

In this way, the roundtable aims to increase their audience outreach outside broadcasting their meetings on the radio every Sunday night. The future of TMR will continue to facilitate increased dialogue and education in the community.

González said those who are apart of Thursday Morning Roundtable ”will continue their civic engagement through their political, professional and volunteer activities.”