Student Association

Syracuse Common Council rejects ordinance punishing off-campus underage drinking

An ordinance that would have made off-campus underage drinking a prisonable offence did not pass during the Syracuse Common Council’s Tuesday session.

“The Social Host Ordinance” was rejected by a 5-4 vote, but Eric Persons, Syracuse University’s associate vice president of government and community relations, expects the council to revisit the ordinance sometime after elections in January. Student Association President Aysha Seedat hopes to have a student assist in the revisions, if they happen.

Had it passed, the ordinance would have attempted to crack down on “open house parties,” defined as social gatherings of two or more people on private property. If Syracuse police were to have discovered underage drinking or illegal drug consumption at an open house party, they would have given the party’s host a court summons. A judge would then determine if the offender would either go to jail for up to 15 days or receive a fine between $100 and $500.

At a Student Affairs Advisory Board meeting on Oct. 9, Councilor-at-Large Pamela Hunter told Seedat that the ordinance would likely pass. But four days later, it didn’t.

“I was really surprised,” Seedat said. “… (Hunter was) giving us the impression that it was a unanimous vote.”

About 30 minutes before the official vote, Hunter told Persons that the ordinance was set to pass. Since it didn’t, Persons said in an email that he believes there were at least two council members who changed their vote at the last minute.

Persons said some members of the council were worried about how the ordinance would be enforced. Namely, they were worried that property owners or parents uninvolved in providing underage people with alcohol or illegal drugs would be penalized.

“If those concerns are addressed, then it could pass,” Persons said.

If the council revisits the ordinance — in the spring, Persons guesses — Seedat is hoping that SA can voice its concerns with the legislation and meet the council halfway.

Of primary concern to Seedat is amending the ordinance so first and second offenders aren’t subject to potential imprisonment.

“That would be the biggest thing,” she said. “I think the fines are pretty reasonable.”

Seedat said she understands the concerns that Syracuse residents might have about students throwing “crazy parties,” and said if she were a resident, she wouldn’t want those parties happening in her neighborhood.

She added that since residents tend to live in the Syracuse area longer than students, the council is more likely to work to serve the interest of residents.

“I totally understand that,” she said. “But … we just want to make sure everything is sound and fair on both ends, not just for one party more than the other just because one is here for less time.”