University Politics

SU names chair of Maxwell dean search committee

An associate dean at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs will chair the committee that will find candidates for the next dean of Maxwell.

Associate Dean David Van Slyke was chosen to chair the committee by Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost Liz Liddy, according to an SU News release. The search comes in light of Maxwell Dean James Steinberg’s Sept. 1 announcement of his intention to conclude his tenure at the end of the 2015–16 academic year.

“The next Maxwell School dean will continue to build on the school’s long history and important contributions, and David will have a critical part in ensuring the school’s continued prominence through the search for its next visionary leader,” Liddy said in the release.

Van Slyke, who has been at Maxwell since 2004, is the chair of the Department of Public Administration and International Affairs at the school and the Louis A. Bantle Chair in Business and Government Policy.

“The new dean will find a school with many stakeholders who are enthusiastic about the future as it moves toward its tenth decade of service to the public,” Van Slyke said in the release. “I am excited to search for our next leader committed to educating and training our future global leaders in the Maxwell tradition of citizenship.”

Van Slyke is currently also a member of the faculty advisory committee that is looking at the opportunities and challenges that may come with the creation of a veteran-focused medical school at SU.

The rest of the search committee members will be announced in the next few weeks, according to the release.