Election 2016

Steve Williams launches bid for Congress in NY’s 24th Congressional District

A third Democrat is running for Congress in New York state’s 24th Congressional District.

Steve Williams, 52, of Baldwinsville, announced Monday that he is seeking the Democratic nomination to run against Rep. John Katko (R-NY) for the congressional seat of which Syracuse is a part. Williams, a lawyer and former U.S. Navy JAG Corps officer, is the third Democrat to put their hat in the ring for the nomination, joining Syracuse University professor Eric Kingson and SU alumna Colleen Deacon.

“I’ve spent my career winning tough fights, and that’s what I’m going to do in Congress. As a prosecutor in the Navy, I went after sexual predators, drug dealers and domestic violence,” Williams said in a release.

Williams’ campaign will focus on the economy and creating jobs, according to his campaign website.

“We need an economy that works for everyone, not just the powerful special interests,” Williams said in the release. “Unlike Congressman Katko, who has voted with the far right wing Republicans who control Congress. I won’t waste time engaging in gridlock, partisanship and political theatrics.”

Williams will have some catching up to do in fundraising as Katko, the incumbent, raised $257,448.89 in funding in the third quarter and has $664,307 cash on hand, according to Federal Election Commission documents. Kingson raised $101,301 in the third quarter and has $85,247.41 cash on hand, according to FEC filings. It’s unclear how much money Deacon has raised as she was not required to file a campaign finance report since she had only entered the race earlier this month.

After college, Williams joined the Navy, which his father had done in World War II. Williams said in the release that student loan interest rates should be lower and added, “we need to rein in the cost of higher education.”

“College students shouldn’t have to pay higher interest rates than Wall Street bankers,” Williams said.