Editorial Board

Schine Student Center in need of renovation, modernization

As it stands now, the Schine Student Center simply doesn’t feel like a student center. The building is outdated, lacks a central student lounge space and is awkwardly broken up into isolated sections.

In order to improve the student experience, Syracuse University should move forward with renovations to expand the building vertically, incorporate a central student lounge space and ultimately modernize the center.

Although the university is currently in a transitional phase under the Campus Master Plan, in which the Schine Student Center is one of the main buildings on campus being considered for renovations, it must be a long-term priority for SU to renovate the student center and incorporate more recreational spaces, study lounges and an expanded dining area.

While Schine serves its fundamental purpose as a student center, the infrastructure and enclosed layout of the building create an uninviting atmosphere for current students. With proposals to upgrade the Schine Student Center by “building upwards,” the university should aim to make Schine more like the Goldstein Student Center on South Campus, where open spaces are a main component in the layout of the building.

As Schine fails to engage current students, SU must also consider that the student center is often prospective students’ first impression of the university. Upgrading the center to include modern furnishings, utilities and a more welcoming layout would be a transformative move in creating a uniting hub on campus that would be more appealing to those visiting SU.

The Student Association is looking to improve the Schine Student Center with small-scale additions, including adding a kiosk in the main foyer and a magazine rack for student publications, said SA President Aysha Seedat. However, it is large-scale structural change that will ultimately give Schine the improvements it needs to function as a successful space for students.

Most students don’t go to Schine unless they have a specific destination in mind, such as the bookstore or dining center. But with proper renovation, the center can be restored as a central space on campus that is inviting to enrolled and prospective students alike.