Student Association

SA Briefs: 3 takeaways from Monday’s meeting (Oct. 26)

Here are three takeaways from Student Association’s meeting Monday night in Maxwell Auditorium:

1. Budget approvals packaged

The SA assembly voted to package the Finance Board’s budget allocations for the spring 2016 semester. Earlier this month, the board accepted budget proposals from recognized student organizations. Those RSOs had their proposals either fully approved, partially-approved or denied. RSOs can file appeals to the Finance Board this week for requests that were denied.

In total, the board budgeted about $685,000. It has about $75,000 remaining that it can use in appeals.

1. Uber letter discussed

SA President Aysha Seedat and Parliamentarian James Franco recently drafted a letter they intend to send to the New York State Assembly and Senate, requesting that New York make ride-hailing services such as Uber legal in New York. Currently, those services are illegal everywhere in the state, except for New York City.

The assembly discussed the letter but did not vote on it. Seedat will be sending a copy of it to other schools in New York, allowing them to make their own edits.

1. Seedat looks to create council

Seedat is hoping to create a council between the different student governing bodies at Syracuse University and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry. She is in the process of setting up a meeting with the presidents of SU’s Graduate Student Organization and Student Bar Association, as well as SUNY-ESF’s Graduate Student Association and Undergraduate Student Association.

The goal of the council would be to improve communication between those organizations and all graduate and undergraduate at both universities.