Student Association

SA Briefs: 3 takeaways from Oct. 19 meeting

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

At Monday night's SA meeting, SA members discussed the shooting that occurred Wednesday night near the SU campus.

1. Campus lockdown feedback

SA President Aysha Seedat will be attending a Student Affairs Advisory Board Meeting on Friday to discuss the Orange Alerts that were sent out during last week’s campus lockdown. In preparation for that meeting, Seedat asked for the assembly’s opinion on the Orange Alerts.

The feedback went in both positive and negative directions. One member, Obi Afriyie, said that SU “covered all bases” by sending out the alerts via email, phone call and text message. But another member, Katie Oran, said she thought the university should have sent out the Orange Alerts earlier than they did, since the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry’s Centennial Hall was on lockdown about 20 minutes before SU was.

Seedat said she would relay all of the feedback to the Advisory Board at Friday’s meeting.

1. Bill passed

The assembly passed a bill calling on the Syracuse administration to require professors to upload syllabi outlines prior to course registration. Academic Affairs Chair Sonia Suchak introduced the bill.

Last month, SA posted a survey to its Facebook page requesting student feedback on the initiative. Suchak said that of the three percent that took the survey, 96 percent said they would utilize a system that allowed them to access syllabi prior to registering for a class.

1. Student Activity fee

Seedat and SA Comptroller Phil Kramer met Monday with Chancellor Kent Syverud, Gwen Judge and Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz, the dean of student affairs, at a monthly budget meeting. At the meeting, the student activity fee was a hot topic, Seedat said.

Seedat said there isn’t a concrete definition of the student activity fee, which SA controls along with the Graduate Student Organization. Seedat is hoping to establish a written definition explaining what exactly the fee will fund, since she said that is currently unclear.