alumni

Meet the 2015 Syracuse University Homecoming Court

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

The 2015 homecoming court contestants will fight for votes for the rest of the week as they try to show their Orange Spirit.

This week is Orange Central, Syracuse University’s annual homecoming celebration. This weekend, alumni will descend on the campus for a few days of reminiscing. The 2015 homecoming court contestants will fight for votes for the rest of the week, and the king and queen will be crowned during the comedy show on Saturday. Meet the ten students who are competing to become SU royalty.

Paul Haramis

Senior television, radio and film and information management and technology

pulpheadshots

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Haramis said he always wanted to come to Syracuse and has spent his time at SU doing everything he can to give back to the community. He was inspired to run for court by his best friend and last year’s homecoming king, Kevin Claffey.
The D.O: What is the essence of Syracuse and Orange Spirit?
P.H: “We’re everywhere. No matter where I go. Every single place I go, there’s always somebody wearing orange or some random connection to it.”
One word to describe Orange Spirit: “Passionate”

Kavell Brown

Senior system information science

pulpheadshots2

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Brown said he embodies what he thinks SU is. He said SU gives the opportunity to turn your life around for the better and give you an “orange spin and flavor” when you leave. Brown comes from a single-parent home in the projects of New York City and said SU changed his life for the best.
K.B: “When I think of Syracuse, I think of the college experience. Everything you’ve seen on TV, everything you’ve heard about college, it’s here, like big sports, clubs, great academics, school spirit. When you come here, even the buildings look a little orange.”
One word to describe Orange Spirit: “Family”

Nicholas Aliquo

Senior political science and Spanish

pulpheadshots3

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Aliquo said he represents the school in a diverse way. He has spent his four years at SU immersing himself into the community through his academics, fraternity and study abroad program. Aliquo said that being on the court is cementing Syracuse as his home.
N.A.: “The traditions. Even though we all come from so many different backgrounds and majors and different areas of Greek life and professional, with the traditions, it all brings us together as one.”
One word to describe Orange Spirit: “Ridiculous”

Kara Sheplock

Senior food studies

pulpheadshots5

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Although Sheplock hails from Indiana, she is a born and bred Syracuse fan with family from the area. She said she applied for the court as an act of rebellion against the concept of homecoming being a popularity contest. When she received the email accepting her onto the court, Sheplock said she ran down the hallway screaming to her co-Resident Adviser.
K.S.: There’s something about this school. I don’t know what its is, it’s that orange pride, it’s the camaraderie, it’s everything around it. I don’t know but it’s good.”
One word to describe Orange Spirit: “Home”

Lauren Green

Senior public relations

pulpheadshots6

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Green said she has wanted to be on homecoming court since freshman year. She said she came to Syracuse on a whim and has had the best experience of her life so she wants to take the chance to give back to the community.
L.G.: “No matter what happens, everyone is still proud to bleed orange and I think that’s just such a fun atmosphere to be proud of.”
One word to describe Orange Spirit: “Forever”

Emily Malina

Senior International Relations and Public Relations

pulpheadshots7

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Malina said it would be an honor to represent the school that has given her chances to see the world, get a degree, make lifelong friends and gain tools for the rest of her life. Malina, a huge “Star Trek” fan, thinks the diverse members of SU coming together to work for the common good is reminiscent of the teamwork shown by the crew of the Starship Enterprise.
E.M.: The very special thing about SU is that there is no essence, there’s so much diversity, there’s no single essence, there’s lots of special things about SU.”
One word to describe Orange Spirit: “Star Trek”

Speedy Morman

Senior broadcast and digital journalism

speedypulpheadshot

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Morman was flattered to be nominated, but the non-traditional route to the court means he may not want the position of King as much as some of the other candidates. He said he is honored to be part of such a longstanding tradition.
The D.O.: What is the essence of Syracuse and Orange Spirit?
S.M.: “It’s evident that students here have this crazy sense of pride because while we’re here, we have so much fun and we get a great education and we get to make great friends and we get to got to the sports games and we get to go to parties and we get to have class with people that mean a lot to us.”
One word to describe Orange Spirit: “Lit”

Jane Hong

Senior broadcast and digital journalism

pulpheadshots8

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Aysha Seedat, president of Student Association, nominated her vice president, Hong, who decided to take advantage of the opportunity thinking she might regret it if she didn’t. She said the interview for court was a reflective process and she enjoyed being able to learn more about SU’s traditions and herself as a student.
J.H.: “We are constantly reminded that we have so much power and privilege as students to really make a difference and I think orange spirit is really embodying that knowledge that you can always be doing more for others.”
One word to describe Orange Spirit: “Bada-beep-bop-boop”

Kanique Swinson

Senior marketing management and emerging enterprises

pulpheadshots10

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

One of Swinson’s mentors who is also black ran for homecoming court during Swinson’s freshman year and inspired her to follow in his footsteps. She said coming to a school that has a majority of white students was hard for her, but her mentor taught her not to be intimidated and showed her that SU “is what you make it.”
K.S.: “I always think back to those times when I see an alumni or when I see someone whose from Syracuse or who also loves Syracuse somewhere where I wouldn’t expect them to be. It’s like, immediately you see them and you know that they love Syracuse as much as you do.”
One word to describe Orange Spirit: “Tradition”

Nina Rodgers

Senior broadcast and digital journalism and sociology

pulpheadshots9

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Rodgers said she was always a leader in high school but was always too scared to do things like homecoming court. She said Syracuse has helped her come out of her shell and running for homecoming queen is the embodiment of that.
N.R.: “One thing that I have come to know about Syracuse is that there is no one specific or right way to ‘do Syracuse.’ One thing that I love about this school is that you can find your place and your happiness anywhere, that’s what orange spirit is to me.”
One word to describe Orange Spirit: “Sensational”

Correction: In a previous version of this article, the location where the king and queen will be crowned was misstated. The crowing will take place at the comedy show. The Daily Orange regrets this error.