Editorial Board

Clarity essential in DPS correspondence during Orange Alert

Lapses in effective communication are unacceptable at a time when lives are potentially at risk.

The Syracuse University and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry campuses went into a “shelter-in-place” mode Wednesday night in response to a deadly shooting that took place about two miles from the SU campus after the suspects fled through the cemetery along Comstock Avenue. The Orange Alert advised students to stay indoors.

However, the Department of Public Safety failed to fully and accurately disclose the details that prompted the Orange Alert in the first place, in addition to specifics of what exactly a “shelter-in-place” is. This is concerning, considering that clear communication is the central way to prepare and protect the campus community in times of emergency.

In correspondence between DPS and students during the Orange Alert, there were several accuracy and punctuation errors that made it clear the messages were sent out in haste. One email subject communicated to students that the Orange Alert was called due to “severe weather.”

Although DPS can only send out information in single messages composed of 140 characters via the Orange Alert system, the release of clear and succinct information could be helped by the creation of Orange Alert templates. These templates would have pre-written messages with blanks to be filled in and could be quickly issued to the student body. Moving forward, these initial messages should be followed by messages with additional information disclosing the specific details of the emergency situation.

DPS must also ensure that there is a community understanding of a “shelter-in-place” mode. On Wednesday night, the lack of a uniform definition for “shelter-in-place” left the SU campus and some of its workers in a state of confusion.

Student Association President Aysha Seedat said there were residential security aides (RSAs) who were confused about whether or not they should let students in and out of residence halls. Students were also let out of Archbold Gymnasium and Bird Library, while students in the S.I. Newhouse of Public Communications were not allowed to leave.

DPS must give full disclosure of what students can and cannot do during an Orange Alert, as it is a valid safety concern. In order to have students take the alert more seriously in future instances, DPS should make the distinction of explicitly telling students to remain indoors if warranted, rather than “advising” students to do so.

The Department of Public Safety’s handling of Wednesday night’s Orange Alert is an opportunity for the department to improve the ways in which it communicates emergency information with the university community. Because every member of the student body cannot be trained as how to react in every emergency situation, DPS must work to ensure that clarity in correspondence is maintained to dispel any fear, panic and confusion among SU students during Orange Alerts.