Boos and Bravos

Boos and Bravos: Mighty Taco, ice hockey victory

Sabrina Koenig | Staff Photographer

Two SU players push down the rink in the effort to school a goal against RIT.

Check out the high’s in this week’s Daily Orange news, including an ice hockey rematch and a preview of the 2015 homecoming court. Click on headings for the full story.

Bravos

Mighty Taco

Mighty Taco, a Western New York fast-food chain, announced it is opening its first location in Syracuse. Currently, the chain only has locations in the Buffalo area and Rochester. This newest location will open at 911 N. Main St. in Cicero in January 2016. Mighty Taco is known for Mexican food, like its El Niño Burrito, and another Buffalo-centric item, Loganberry. Loganberry is a sweet, fruity and dark purple drink that has to be tasted to be understood. The only downside to the new addition: it’s replacing a Tim Hortons, another Buffalo favorite.

102115_N_Citymightytaco_MporiahRatner_APE

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

Homecoming weekend

This weekend, two Syracuse students will become campus royalty when they are crowned Homecoming King and Queen. Make sure to get to know all the candidates and what they think of Orange Spirit with these mini-profiles. They will be crowned at Saturday’s football game against the Pittsburgh Panthers, which is sure to be fierce as the Orangemen fight to break a three-game losing streak. There will also be plenty of other events for both alumni and students to take part in, including a tour of the Crouse chimes and a visit by the women behind “Broad City.”

NOJ_1194

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Syracuse ice hockey beats RIT

The ice hockey team took avenge for their title loss to the Rochester Institute of Technology last year by sweeping them 7-1 this week. The game was the first conference game of the season and SU showed why they deserved to be voted number one in their conference by the coaches. The loss to RIT last year was a blow for the team, as it cost them the title and took them out of the running for the NCAA tournament. Players said they used that pent-up frustration to fuel their play in this game. The Orange scored two points in the first period, which paved the way to their blowout.

102115_S_Ihoc4_SabrinaKoenig_CP

Sabrina Koenig | Staff Photographer

Boos

College education

According to a recent study, many graduates believe their college education was not worth the cost. Nearly 50 percent of graduates of private, not-for-profit schools said they strongly agree that their school was worth the price. This a side effect of dramatically rising tuition costs, according to a USA Today article. However, some education experts and graduates say that college is more than simply receiving an education and is about what you learn outside of the classroom, too.

Oct. 21, 2015

The day Marty McFly, Doc Brown and Jennifer Parker traveled to in “Back to the Future: Part II” came and went this week. Unfortunately, 2015 does not have flying cars or hovering skateboards, nor will the Cubs be winning the World Series this year. Movie columnist Kyle Stevens broke down what else they movie missed the target on, as well as what it got right. Some things were close, but others made it feel like 2015 didn’t live up to it’s potential. If you had a movie marathon in preparation for the big day, though, let us know if we missed any big predictions.

Mid-season reports

SU Football will head into this Saturday’s game with a tied (3-3) record and a three-game losing streak. Now, with six games under their belt, the Sports’ beat writers gave their mid-season reports and looked ahead towards the remainder of the games. For the most part, everyone — including coach Scott Shafer — got decent grades. They did give the secondary and tight ends D’s, but Riley Dixon, punter, earned an A+ from the group for his contributions to the team. Overall, none predict the team will have a winning record; a tie, they said, at best.

091915_S_FBCMU_LoganReidsma_PE-41151

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor