weekend plans

Weekend plans: BYOV, Inflatable 5K

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

Remember when your parents dropped you off in this strange, foreign land?

Parent’s Weekend is coming up and freshmen are losing sleep over seeing their parental units again. If you’re looking for something to bring the whole family to (let’s face it, not every event on SU’s schedule is a blast), or even just taking a quick trip with your friends, check out some of Pulp’s plans for the weekend. Click on the orange text to see the full story.

Bring Your Own Vinyls

092415_P_FunknWafflesMarshall_DavidSalanitri_SP

David Salanitri | Staff Photographer

Calling all vinyl fans: Funk ‘n Waffles University Hill is now hosting Bring Your Own Vinyl nights every Thursday. These nights are a little different than most of Funk’s events, as they are more intimate and include audience involvement. Anyone can come and learn how to use turntables, even if they don’t have their own vinyl. “You can come and learn how to be a DJ,” said Pat Tierney, a Funk ‘n Waffles employee.

Parent’s Weekend

parents weekend

Be prepared to see a few more grown-ups on campus after Parent’s Weekend gets underway this Friday. The weekend includes tons of events for families, but even students flying solo can participate. Most are informational meetings, so if you missed something during orientation, check out the schedule here. For the real excitement, though, don’t miss the Syracuse Orange vs. Louisiana State University football game on Saturday. Kick off is at noon, though, so be sure not to oversleep. Kenan Thompson, who is performing in Goldstein Auditorium on Friday, will also be a highlight of the weekend. Unfortunately, the tickets are all sold out, so if you don’t have one look online for anybody selling at the last minute.

Central Square Apple Festival

The Central Square Apple Festival is taking over the Brewerton Speedway this weekend with rides, food and craft vendors. Just 20 minutes north of Syracuse, the festival is a community-oriented event with live entertainment and contests for all ages. Admission is only $5 per carload, so bring your friends and get excited for apple season in central New York. Don’t forget to check out the Cicero United Methodist Church table while you’re there and try the official NYS apple muffin.

Empty Bowls

This Friday, Empty Bowls is taking over The Warehouse to raise money for the Interreligious Food Consortium. For $20, you can take home a handmade ceramic bowl made by a local artist or student and eat a modest lunch of soup and bread. The Empty Bowls project is a nationwide program that helps promote and raise money for local organizations that are focused on feeding their community.

Point of Contact Anniversary

091615_P_pointofcontactDominant_ZachBarlow_CP (1)

Zach Barlow | Contributing Photographer

Also taking place in The Warehouse this Friday is Point of Contact’s 40th anniversary. The gallery will display their new exhibit, “Contiuum” and throw a 70s-themed party to celebrate the big 4-0. There will be food, drinks, costumes and music, so there will be plenty to do besides look at art. Read more about Point of Contact’s history here.

Insane Inflatable 5k

The Insane Inflatable 5K is coming to Syracuse this Saturday and it’s going to be epic. If you haven’t seen pictures of these races, check them out. The race, which is part of the LaFayette Apple Festival, goes over and under approximately 11 inflatable obstacle and is the length of a regular 5K. If you order by Friday, the price is $64, or $75 on the day of the race.