University Politics

Vice President for Research to retire; chair of psychology department to serve as interim

Gina Lee-Glauser, the vice president for research at Syracuse University, announced Wednesday that she will retire from the university at the end of 2015.

Chair of the Department of Psychology Peter Vanable will serve as interim vice president for research-designate from Oct. 1 through Dec. 31, as well as interim dean of the Graduate School, according to an SU news release.

Vanable will become interim vice president for research on Jan. 1 and will continue to serve as interim dean of the Graduate School until SU names a joint permanent vice president for research and dean of the Graduate School, according to the release.

Ben Ware, the former dean of the Graduate School, retired from the university in May, Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs at SU, said in an email.

“Excellence in faculty research and graduate education go hand in hand,” Vanable said in the release. “I look forward to working closely with faculty and University leadership to strengthen supports for University-wide scholarly activities and to enhance the profile of our graduate programs.”

Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost Liz Liddy appointed Vanable, also a professor of psychology and adjunct professor of medicine at Upstate Medical University, to serve as Lee-Glauser’s interim replacement, according to the release. Vanable’s appointment will be presented for approval by SU’s Board of Trustees at its next meeting, according to the release.

Lee-Glauser, also a research professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering, came to the university in 2001 and has headed the Office of Research since 2009. She oversaw sponsored expenditures of $76.2 million in last year, a nearly 17 percent increase from the previous year, and the university received $86.7 million in awards that same year, a 29 percent increase from 2014, according to the release.

“Most especially, I valued the opportunities I had to support undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral students, especially those from underrepresented minority, first-generation and international populations,” Lee-Glauser said in the release. “And I look forward to continuing to follow my passion for supporting all students in my retirement.”