Syracuse makes up for 2nd-half meltdown in 30-27 overtime win over CMU

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Jordan Fredericks scored the game-winning touchdown in overtime. SU won 30-27 over the Chippewas.

Luke Arciniega sacked Central Michigan quarterback Cooper Rush on second down and the game clock ticked to 15 seconds.

The Chippewas, without any timeouts and needing a touchdown to force overtime, rushed to the line. The Syracuse defense looked to the sideline for the call and set up for a 3rd and 17 from the Orange’s 27-yard line. But the mayhem was interrupted by the waving arms of a referee near SU’s bench.

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer signaled for a timeout giving his team, and more importantly CMU, a chance to talk over the biggest play of the game. Out of the timeout, Rush rolled to his right and fired a prayer that found the hands of Ben McCord at the front of the end zone to tie the game at 27. Syracuse had already forced two fourth-quarter turnovers, picking up for an offense that couldn’t move the ball with freshman Eric Dungey sidelined for the game. And one more play of regulation proved a little too much to ask.

On Central Michigan’s first overtime possession, the Orange defense came up with a big goal-line stop to force a Central Michigan field goal. Out trotted the SU offense — led by sophomore walk-on Zack Mahoney — needing at least a field goal to keep Syracuse alive. It did one better, finding the end zone to help Syracuse (3-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) escape with a 30-27 win over Central Michigan (1-2) in the Carrier Dome on Saturday.

Mahoney moved to the right on an option and pitched to freshman running back Jordan Fredericks. With space near the sideline, Fredericks sprinted to the goal line and reached the ball out to the pylon.

A referee signaled touchdown and the play was reviewed. When the play was confirmed a celebration broke out in front of the Syracuse bench. Mahoney jumped into center Jason Emerich’s arms. Right tackle Omari Palmer pointed to the crowd and pushed any teammate he could get his hands on.

Despite injuries to its first two quarterbacks, despite spotty secondary play and despite an odd timeout at the end of regulation, the Orange won three straight games to start of a season for the first time since 1991.

Somehow, some way.