Meet Monday

SUNY-ESF senior and SU alumnus collaborate on Destiny USA documentary

Gabriella Jones | Staff Photographer

Caleb Rudge, a senior at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, worked through the spring semester to make "Destiny USA: The Movie."

Caleb Rudge and Nicolas Sessler are interested in more than simply shopping at Destiny USA.

Rudge, a senior at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry and Sessler, a Syracuse University alumnus, created the documentary, “Destiny USA: The Movie.”

“Nick and I both have always wanted to use our creative energy and put it into something that we were passionate about,” Rudge said. “We both have always had a lot of fun laughing, but we wanted to make sure we were laughing for the right reasons. So we wanted to create a medium for people to learn about Syracuse, [specifically] DestinyUSA, and also laugh at it.”

The two worked on the project every day during spring semester 2015. They sat together for hours coming up with the plotline and writing the script. Sessler taught Rudge how to use a camera, and Rudge spent most of his time working it proficiently while Sessler acted for the film.

Though Rudge is majoring in environmental studies and Sessler majored in television, radio and film, they are both passionate about urban policy and urban planning.

“We wanted to make people excited about this because cities matter and if we can get someone’s attention through humor, and teach them that the city of Syracuse is a pattern of poor planning, then we will be successful,” Rudge said.

“Destiny USA: The Movie” tells the humorous story about a young boy infatuated by the mall, but intertwines information about the mall and how it got there. Rudge explains that very few people are aware of the circumstances under which the mall was built.

“I would like people to have a renewed sense of appreciation for urban planning,” Rudge said. “I want people to see cities as an opportunity for working together and worthy of investment — but the right kind of investment.”

View full movie here: