SU announces 2016 Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration speaker

Marc Lamont Hill, a professor of African American Studies at Morehouse College, has been named the keynote speaker for the 31st annual Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration at Syracuse University.

The celebration will be the largest university-sponsored event in the United States to honor Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy. The event will take place inside the Carrier Dome on Jan. 31, 2016, according to an SU News release.

Hill, who is a leading journalistic voice in social justice, serves as host of HuffPost Live and BET News, in addition to being a political contributor for CNN, according to the release.

Previously, Hill was the host of the TV show “Our World” on Black Enterprise and a political contributor for Fox News Channel, according to the release.

As an award-winning journalist, Hill has won many awards from the National Association of Black Journalists, GLAAD and the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, according to the release.

In addition, Hill is a founding member of My5th, a non-profit organization devoted to educating youth about their legal rights and responsibilities. He is also a board member and organizer of the Philadelphia Student Union. He works closely with the ACLU Drug Reform Project with a focus on drug informant policy, according to the release.

In recent years, Hill has actively worked on campaigns to end the death penalty and to release numerous political prisoners, according to the release.

In 2011, Ebony Magazine named him one of America’s 100 most influential black leaders, according to the release.

“He was chosen by the committee because of his ability to connect with our students,” MLK Celebration Chair Catherine Kellman said in the release. “He challenges young people worldwide to become involved in their own way, to truly think globally and act locally.”

The theme of this year’s event, Kellman said in the release, is “remember, celebrate and act: activism and agency for the future.”

The MLK Celebration will also include other activities and community-wide involvement events organized by the city of Syracuse, SU and the MLK committee, according to the release.

Beginning at 5:30 p.m., the program will include an address by Hill, the presentation of the 2016 Unsung Hero Awards, music by a community choir and entertainment by student performers. The event will be free and open to the public, according to the release.