best of

School of Education students share their favorite classes, professors

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

A bird's-eye view of the School of Education.

Editor’s Note: This is the first in a series of articles that will break down students’ favorite things about each college on the Syracuse University campus. 

Syracuse University’s School of Education is a national leader in inclusive urban education. It recently received a $3 million gift, donated by the Taishoff Family Foundation, was recently given to the Lawrence B. Taishoff Center for Inclusive Higher Education to promote InclusiveU, a program aimed at supporting students with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The Pulp Staff talked to SU students about their favorite classes, professors and study spots in the School of Education.

Favorite Class

School of Education students had a wide variety of favorite classes when surveyed. Danielle Medico, a sophomore inclusive early childhood special education major cited CFS 432: “Foundations and Principles of Early Childhood Education” class as her favorite. She likes it because it allows her to work with children as a student teacher early in her college education.
Sarah Konishesky, a sophomore health and exercise science major, said that her PPE 327: “Health Sciences Applied to Coaching” class has been her favorite class at Syracuse because students “kind of run the class.” The class involves coming up with a coaching philosophy and presenting it to the class. Other students then have the chance to discuss and critique each other’s work.

Antonis Llanio’s favorite class thus far has been PPE 481: “Adapted Physical Education.” As a junior health and physical education major, he is not yet sure if wants to specialize in special education, but “this class opens your minds to a lot of different possibilities.”

Favorite Professor

Llanio’s favorite professor is professor Luis Columna, who he went on an SU Abroad trip to Costa Rica with following his freshman year and who teaches the class mentioned previously. Llanio said that his teaching style and passion is one that he aims to replicate in his career.

Ashley Johnson, a sophomore health and exercise sciences major called Jeanne Denti, psychology professor, the best she has encountered.

Medico said that Robert Moreno, her professor for CFS 335: “Issues and Perspectives in Early Childhood Education” is her favorite because “he is the type of teacher that challenges us” and will “keep pushing you to get you a deeper understanding.”

Favorite Study Spot

In Huntington Hall, home of the School of Education, Medico likes to study in the lounge. Other students surveyed said they enjoyed studying in the lobby of the Life Sciences Complex, where many of their classes are held.

The Best Part

Johnson said that her favorite thing about the school is how attentive the advisers are to their students. “They get to know us personally, and because of that, students take the chance to get advice from them,” Johnson said.

The school also keeps great track of the progress of individual students because, as Johnson puts it, “their goal is to get everyone where they should be.”

Konishesky loves the fact that so many of her School of Education classes are held in the Life Sciences Complex because it makes for an easy and quick bus ride on her morning commute from South Campus.

Llanio’s favorite thing about the School of Education is that “the professors are awesome, real people who give us real life experience and tips. They are preparing us to be great teachers in the future.”