Women's soccer

Maddie Pack is a calm presence on Syracuse’s back line

Riley Bunch | Staff Photographer

Maddie Pack has opened the eyes of the Syracuse coaching staff not with flashy moves, but a reserved demeanor that lends itself to the early success she's had.

Maddie Pack stands bashfully waiting to be interviewed after a win against Drexel on Sept. 17 while Alex Lamontagne stands to her right, laughing and flexing her muscles. On the field, Pack stands out despite not really standing out at all, a right back with quick feet and a physical presence that a reserved demeanor can mask.

Pack is there, but if you don’t look closely, you might not even know.

“She’s the type of kid that can come in and blend in and become a team player,” said Jim Bruno, Pack’s high school coach at Our Lady of Good Counsel in Maryland. “She doesn’t necessarily always have to be the leader.”

Pack doesnt do anything flashy, but almost everything sufficiently. Her “just do your job” mentality has led to quick a transition and early success on the field, as shes played in all 10 games her freshman season and started nine of them. She’s been a staple of a Syracuse back line that has allowed just 1.3 goals per game and allowed two or more goals in just two of 10 games.

When Pack showed up for preseason, Syracuse head coach Phil Wheddon said the freshman’s exceptional conditioning and solid defensive play quickly impressed.

And in SUs first game of the preseason against Rutgers, Pack stood up to some players Wheddon expected would be a step or two ahead of her.

“You don’t expect a freshman to come in and have the impact she’s had,” he said. “You hope they do, but sometimes it doesn’t work out. In her case, it’s certainly worked out.”

Senior defender Erin Simon praised Pack’s aptitude to stick with a play and go in for a tackle on the defensive end, adding that she’s quick to apply advice.

Pack is nimble enough to contain the ball and versatile enough that Wheddon has already moved her from the center back to the right back position. Still, Pack isn’t expecting to win many style points.

“I just stick to getting it done, Pack said. I don’t really have much pizzazz or anything.”

Last week against Drexel, Pack stood a few steps in front of the box as the ball was chopped high into the air and landed softly at her feet.

As an opposing forward bore down on the freshman, she tapped the ball softly to her left with her right foot. No jukes or spin moves to try and evade the pressure. Just simple execution. It’s the quiet intensity that guides the freshman not by choice, but by default.

“I’m really quiet at first,” Pack said. “Once you get to know me I open up, but I’m definitely quiet at first.”

Those who have gotten a more intimate look speak highly of her perky personality and ability to make people laugh without doing much of anything.

“She’s just (funny),” Simon said. “Everyone says that, ‘Oh Maddie Pack’s hilarious’ and she doesn’t have to try and be funny, she just is.

But her ability to blend in seamlessly with the team culture might be her greatest attribute. Pack speaks in humble clichés, emphasizing her desire to get better and do whatever she can to help the team. Affectionately referred to as “Pack attack” by Bruno, the freshman has already won over the respect of those around her.

And while she may not attract the most attention on the field, Pack is still thriving in her role as a blue-collar defender.

“With every opponent we play, I feel a little more comfortable,” she said. “Just able to be myself on the field.”