Hybrid Erv Philips out against Wake Forest with ‘lower-body injury’

David Salanitri | Staff Photographer

Erv Philips will be sidelined Saturday with a lower-body injury. He was seen walking on crutches Thursday afternoon.

Sophomore Erv Philips won’t play this Saturday against Wake Forest due to a lower-body injury, per the Week 2 injury report released by Syracuse Athletics on Thursday night. He was seen earlier Thursday walking with crutches on campus, seemingly favoring his left foot but still touching his right to the ground.

Philips didn’t play in the second half of the Orange’s 47-0 win against Rhode Island last Friday after reeling in two touchdown catches on 41 yards and two receptions in the first 30 minutes. Both scores came off throws from freshman signal-caller Eric Dungey.

Philips’ absence opens room for Ben Lewis, who is the only non-freshman at the hybrid. True freshmen Dontae Strickland and Tyrone Perkins are the other two who’ve played the spot this summer. Against URI, Lewis had a catch for 16 yards, Strickland two rushes for 42 yards and the touchdown and Perkins a carry for five yards.

Now the Orange is without its starting quarterback from Week 1 and one of its most versatile offensive weapons. SU (1-0) opens up Atlantic Coast Conference play on Saturday at 12:30 against the Demon Deacons (1-0).