Gender and Sexuality

Crockett: Reactions to Kentucky clerk should foster discussion on understanding

Many of us are taught that politics and religion are two things not to bring up in polite conversation. And yet, these topics consistently find themselves at the forefront of national events and even discussions on campus.

In Kentucky, Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis was released Tuesday after being briefly jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Her popularity rose as she accepted arrest over signing the licenses, an act that went against her personal beliefs.

In a country that promises to be the land of the free, religious freedom and equality should both be priorities.

A quick Google search of Davis will provide all the information needed for fans and critics alike. Bryan Fischer, a Christian columnist and radio personality, compared her to Rosa Parks. Political commentator Bill Maher said she is in fact a modern day Rosa Parks – the Rosa Parks of homophobia.

In short, Kim Davis has become a caricature of an entire religion, and many Republicans, including presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, who stood with her during her speech on the day she was released from jail, are enjoying every moment.

Kim Davis was expected to do her job as a county clerk. But, as a Christian, it raises the question of whether or not she had the right to not compromise her faith. Some say she should have picked another job instead, while others argue she had the right to say no.

It may be difficult for some to mend the distorted relationship with religion and social politics. The First Amendment of the Constitution functions to keep church and state as separate entities. Stories like Kim Davis’ challenge this reality. As a country, will it ever be possible to respect people’s religious freedom as well as the human need and desire to be treated wholly, with the same rights as anyone else?

In this difficult situation, the right answer is subjective to people who will be offended if bias casts them in an unfavorable light. Perhaps this is why we are taught to not discuss such things in conversation. We need to be able to articulate both sides, listen and seek to understand the perspectives of one another.

Having a holistic view and understanding of these viewpoints will provide a space for Americans to feel protected by the Constitution, in addition to respecting religious beliefs and their significance in society. It isn’t a matter of picking sides as much as it is a matter of recognizing both and finding a balance between the two.

I do not consider Kim Davis to be Rosa Parks. I understand the intent, but it leaves the same bitter taste in my mouth as cultural appropriation and whitewashing history. I admire someone who takes a stand for their faith, and I also admire a country that treats everyone with the same manner of respect. Maybe it’s a paradox to have both, but there’s no harm in trying to achieve this reality, as a nation and on a personal basis.

Elaina Crockett is a senior television, radio and film major and African American studies minor. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].