Field Hockey

Alyssa Manley leading potent Syracuse offense ahead of Boston College matchup

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Alyssa Manley has led a potent Syracuse offense that has outshot its opponents 79-37 this year.

Alyssa Manley stood at the top of the circle waving her arms, summoning her teammates to gather around and regroup after then-No. 2 North Carolina opened the scoring of Saturday’s matchup of two top-three teams.

No matter where they were on the field, her teammates flocked to her. Goalkeeper Jess Jecko shook off the goal she had just allowed and left the cage while forward Emma Russell trotted to the impromptu huddle.

Manley had her word with her teammates, and SU stormed back with four unanswered goals in the second half to win 4-2.

“As good as (Manley’s) play is, it’s more than that,” Syracuse head coach Ange Bradley said. “It’s more of a behind-the-scenes leadership, but in the moments of pressure is where she speaks and where she steps up.”

Manley has become the leader of a midfield that’s controlled offensive possession throughout its first five games, resulting in SU outshooting opponents, 79-37. No. 2 Syracuse (5-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) and Manley will look to continue controlling the ball in the offensive zone on the road this weekend against No. 11 Boston College (4-2) on Saturday at 1 p.m. and Yale (1-2) Sunday at 2 p.m.

“Our focus for the team is midfield movement,” Manley said. “Once we get the ball up, we want to go up one side, across the midfield and move to offense.

“I think that has a lot to do with our success.”

While the leadership of the four-year starter has helped while she plays in the midfield with Laura Hurff, a forward last year, and Alma Fenne, a graduate student playing her first year in the NCAA this year, Manley’s skill and speed sets her apart.

One of the fastest girls on the team, Manley uses her speed to create space between defenders and find opportunities to advance the ball.

“Midfield is kind of like the backbone to everything,” Hurff said. “… Without experience and poise there, the team doesn’t operate as a unit.”

Playing in the midfield requires moving the ball in transition quickly and under pressure, something that rests on an ability to receive passes. With opposing forwards, backs and midfielders all crowded in the middle of the field, Hurff highlighted Manley’s clean footwork and stickwork as her strengths.

Hurff describes Manley’s ability to receive passes as “seamless,” and that once she has possession of the ball, her passing is full of poise. Manley’s field hockey IQ is an asset for SU, something she’s accumulated from four-plus years of NCAA and international experience.

Manley spent her summer playing for the United Sates Senior National Team in the Pan Am Games as the only college athlete on the roster. Since returning, Bradley has seen her captain’s elite ball control skills and speed improve even more.

“She took a whole other step up,” Bradley said. “She’s about five pounds lighter (from training with the national team) and that much quicker.”

Having an anchor at one of the most important positions on the field frees up other positons to focus on their roles. As Syracuse begins its stretch of conference games in the ACC — known for its speedy pace of play — Manley’s presence will be crucial for the Orange.

“She’s one of our leaders and we look to her,” Hurff said. “Experience, skill, speed — she has it all and we need it.”