Training Camp

Julian Whigham participates in practice and other notes

David Salanitri | Contributing Photographer

Julian Whigham participated in the first 20 minutes of practice after taking a nasty fall during Saturday's Fan Fest practice.

Senior cornerback Julian Whigham fully participated during the first 20 minutes of Syracuse’s practice on Monday which were open to the media.

He left Saturday’s Fan Fest scrimmage after taking a nasty fall while trying to defend a pass. The ball popped into the air and was intercepted by Rodney Williams while Whigham was flat on the grass.

Whigham limped off the field, but had ice on his right knee as he posed for photos with fans at the Orange’s “selfie stations” following the scrimmage.

Other observations from day nine of training camp:

• Sophomore quarterback AJ Long was limited in practice again. Similar to three days ago, Long didn’t hold a ball while doing a quarterback shuffle drill and sat out of quarterback-center exchange drill.
  • Wide receiver Alvin Cornelius and running back Dontae Strickland both fully participated after missing Saturday’s Fan Fest.
  • Redshirt freshman defensive tackle Kayton Samuels wore sneakers and no pads and spent time during practice riding a stationary bike and working 1-on-1 with defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough. Samuels didn’t play in Saturday’s scrimmage but head coach Scott Shafer said he expects his return in the next couple days.
  • Syracuse attempted a fake field goal with its first string during the open portion of practice on Monday. Senior punter and holder Riley Dixon pulled the ball back and rolled out to his right. He threw the ball across his body about 20 yards down the field but no one was nearby and the ball fell incomplete.