Training Camp

Syracuse Fan Fest 2015: 5 players to watch

Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

Jamal Custis is one of the key players to watch for Syracuse in its Fan Fest scrimmage on Saturday afternoon.

Syracuse will hold its annual Fan Fest scrimmage Saturday evening at SU Soccer Stadium. While head coach Scott Shafer said the Orange won’t reveal much, here are five players to keep an eye on less than three weeks before the season opener against Rhode Island.

Chris Slayton, defensive tackle, R-Fr., No. 95

One of the consensus stronger players on the team, Slayton will have a much larger role this season for a number of reasons: departures on the defensive line, his own offseason improvement and the lingering injury issues for senior defensive tackle John Raymon and current status of injured star defensive end Ron Thompson.

Defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough said Slayton has improved “vastly” since the spring and it’ll be the first chance for everyone to see it Saturday.

What they’re saying 

Bullough: “He was not bringing his feet with him, now he’s rolling off the ball, that’s the biggest difference I see with him. … Coming off the ball and attacking the line of scrimmage instead of waiting and reacting.”

Senior left tackle Ivan Foy: “Chris Slayton, even though I don’t go up against him, he’s a big dude, he’s a strong dude. He brings up problems for the whole O-line.”

Luke Arciniega, defensive end, Jr., No. 5

Following a position switch from linebacker to defensive end and receiving two more years of eligibility from the NCAA, Arciniega comes into the fall a somewhat refreshed player. With the status of Thompson, he’ll likely get first-team reps with senior Donnie Simmons at the other defensive end spot.

Shafer said the process with a player like Arciniega switching defensive positions is first seeing that they can get the eyes, feet, hands and body position techniques down. Then, the final step is finding out if they can finish a play.

What they’re saying

Shafer: “I think we’ll see (Saturday night) a lot more to be honest with you (if Arciniega has separated himself from freshmen at new position). For me on that side of the ball, it’s hard until we get some real live tackling on tape to really see.”

Foy: “Luke Arciniega, I go up against him every day, he’s going to be a tool for us on defense. He’s a great rusher … stronger guy with the bull rush.”

Rodney Williams, safety, R-Fr., No. 6

After receiving a medical redshirt for last season, Williams has a chance to start a season after his standout Fort Drum performance in 2014. Bullough said a combination of sophomores Chauncey Scissum and Antwan Cordy, along with Williams, are in contention for the two starting safety spots.

The Orange has a trio of freshmen safeties in Kielan Whitner, Daivon Ellison, and Christopher Frederick, but Williams and the other two elders have stood out thus far.

What they’re saying

Bullough: “The older three, they’re on top of their game. They know the defense, they know how to disguise stuff, they’re playing really well.”

Eric Dungey, quarterback, Fr., No. 2

Saturday will likely be the only chance media and fans have a chance to see the first-year signal-caller play this year. But because freshman Kenterius Womack has been working with the wide receivers, it seems as if SU favors Dungey as a quarterback in that class.

Sophomore quarterback AJ Long has been limited with an injury in the last two practices open to the media, so expect Dungey to get more snaps tonight along with sophomore quarterback Austin Wilson.

What they’re saying

Offensive coordinator Tim Lester: “He’s throwing the ball great. He just needs reps and reads and all the different quick answers to the different problems the defense creates, but he’s doing a great job.”

Jamal Custis, wide receiver, So., No. 17

Last year, Syracuse’s red-zone offense was abysmal. This year, it has a 6-foot-5 target in Custis, who only caught four passes for 15 yards last year, that’s a year older. Though Lester said SU hasn’t delved into its red-zone offense in practice yet, Custis figures to be prominent in it, and an enticing target for quarterback Terrel Hunt to eye for increased success inside the 20-yard line.

What they’re saying

Lester: “He’s running so well. He looks really good, much more fluid as he’s just working on his body control. He’s got a long way to go, but he’s getting off the line better too and I’ve been happy with his progression.”