Field Hockey

2015 Syracuse field hockey schedule features 9 tournament teams

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Syracuse will play nine NCAA tournament teams on its 2015 slate. It opens the season with three games in California.

The 2015 Syracuse field hockey schedule was released on Tuesday and includes nine games against teams that joined the Orange in the 2014 NCAA tournament.

SU is coming off its first national championship game appearance in program history in 2014 — a 1-0 loss to Connecticut.

Syracuse has four games against teams that earned automatic bids to the 2014 NCAA tournament and three teams that advanced to the quarterfinals.

Syracuse travels to California for a season-opening three-game trip. It will play at Stanford, a 2014 national quarterfinalist, on Aug. 28. Then it heads up the coast for games against UC Davis and Pacific, on Aug. 29 and Aug. 31, respectively.

Syracuse continues its road stretch with a game at Bucknell on Sept. 4. The Orange plays the first of its eight home games on Sept. 6 against Massachusetts at 1 p.m. at J.S. Coyne Stadium.

The following weekend, SU opens Atlantic Coast Conference play against 2014 national semifinalist North Carolina on Sept. 12 at home.

The team embarks on a New England road trip to play Boston College (Sept. 19) and Yale (Sept. 20) before settling into J.S. Coyne Stadium for a four-game home stretch. The lineup consists of 2014 ACC regular season champion Virginia on Sept. 25, a host of other NCAA tournament participants — Boston University on Sept. 27, Monmouth on Oct. 2 — and Cornell on Oct. 4.

Then the Orange travels to Louisville (Oct. 9) and Indiana (Oct. 11) before the Orange hosts its final two regular-season home games. Last season’s 2014 ACC tournament champion Wake Forest comes to Syracuse on Oct. 17 and, the next day, 2014 Ivy League champion Princeton arrives to play in Syracuse’s last home game.

SU closes out its regular season at 2014 national quarterfinalist Duke on Oct. 24.