Commencement 2015

Year in Review: Top stories at Syracuse University for the 2014-15 school year

The 2014-15 academic year was a busy one at Syracuse University. SU Athletics was in the national spotlight after the NCAA released its 94-page report about the department and university and the university announced many major changes.

Here’s a look at a few of the top stories from the past year:

Hanna Strong:

Hanna Strong, a senior midfielder on the Syracuse women’s soccer team, was videotaped calling another person a “f*ggot-a** n*gger” in a video that was posted on Instagram in the beginning of September. She was suspended indefinitely from the team by head coach Phil Wheddon and later removed from the roster altogether.

Oprah visits SU:

Oprah Winfrey was one of the special guests in attendance at the Sept. 29, 2014 dedication celebration of the Dick Clark Studios and the Alan Gerry Center for Media Innovation, two new facilities at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. Winfrey gave a brief speech at the formal program, which was followed by a ribbon cutting ceremony outside of Newhouse II.

SU makes plans to go tobacco-free:

SU announced on Nov. 11, 2014 that it will become a tobacco-free campus on July 1. By July 1, tobacco products or any products simulating tobacco smoking will be banned on campus, including outdoor spaces. All locations owned or leased by SU in the U.S. will enforce the policy, with the exception of the Carrier Dome, the Sheraton Hotel, Drumlins and Syracuse Stage. All SU-owned property, including international property, is expected to fully adopt the policy by 2017.

THE General Body sit-in:

THE General Body, a coalition of student organizations, staged an 18-day sit-in in Crouse-Hinds Hall from Nov. 3, 2014 to Nov. 20, 2014. The group had a 40-plus page list of grievances and demands which called for changes to the university’s mission and vision statements, divestment, an apology for the closing of the Advocacy Center and changes to the Posse program, among other things.

Fraternity members arrested:

Two members of Nu Alpha Phi were arrested in early March on hazing charges for their involvement in an incident that almost caused a pledge of the fraternity to lose four fingers due to severe frostbite. The fraternity was suspended by SU after the university first received details of the incident. At the end of April, Pi Kappa Alpha was suspended from holding social events and an assault charge was filed against a member of the fraternity following an investigation into an alleged hazing incident.

NCAA cracks down on SU Athletics:

The NCAA released on March 6 its 94-page report into SU, detailing violations committed by the athletic department. The report included sanctions on the university, which include a five-year probation, scholarship reductions, vacation of wins and a nine-game suspension for men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim. SU had previously announced a one-year, self-imposed postseason ban, which did not factor into the NCAA’s final infractions decision.

SU to require health insurance:

SU announced on March 16 that beginning with the 2016–17 academic year, all full-time students will be required to have health insurance. Starting next year, all incoming, newly enrolled full-time students, as well as current and incoming full-time international students, will be required to have health insurance. The cost of the new student health insurance plan will be $1,890 for those without insurance. The announcement was met with some negative feedback, including the Graduate Student Organization discussing the possibility of unionizing.

Athletic department shake-up:

Daryl Gross stepped down as the Director of Athletics at SU and Jim Boeheim shared his intention to retire as men’s basketball coach in three years in an email sent to the SU community. Gross now serves as vice president and special assistant to the chancellor and will begin teaching as an adjunct professor in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics in the fall. Pete Sala, managing director of the Carrier Dome, is currently serving as interim athletic director and a search committee has been formed to look for a new AD.

University announces divestment plans:

SU announced on March 31 that it is formally divesting endowment funds from coal mining and other fossil fuel companies. The university will continue to seek investments through its endowment in companies that are focused on developing new technology involving solar energy, biofuels and advanced recycling. Divestment was one of THE General Body’s demands during the 18-day sit-in.