Editorial Board

University and athletic department must clarify status of the No. 44

The confusion created by the Syracuse University athletic department regarding the restoration of the celebrated No. 44 to the football program is unacceptable.

The lack of communication and clarity surrounding the situation must be addressed. The university should release a clear explanation about the restoration and implementation of the use of the No. 44 within the next 24 hours.

On Tuesday, Pete Sala, interim director of athletics, announced at the Plaza 44 groundbreaking ceremony that the No. 44 would be restored to the football program, nearly ten years after its retirement in 2005. However, the next day, Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs, told Syracuse.com that the announcement does not significantly change the status of the jersey with the university.

Quinn said Thursday in a statement to The Daily Orange that his comments to Syracuse.com on Wednesday were a “reiteration of the commitment and another opportunity to celebrate the great accomplishments of those who have worn the number with Syracuse pride and honor.” Quinn would not further clarify that statement.

The contradictory statements have created confusion about whether or not the No. 44 has truly been restored.

For SU to announce the restoration of the number at a press conference and promote it through social media, as seen on the Syracuse Athletics Twitter account, but backtrack without clarification is unprofessional.

These inconsistencies reflect poorly on the university, the administration and the athletic department during a time when SU Athletics is in a transitional period of leadership and personnel. However, this is not an excuse for gaps in communication and transparency at this scale.

SU must address the concerns of the community about the restoration of No. 44 and the policy behind its use. The university should provide a detailed explanation about the implications of the decision, including if the number is back, if it will be used on the field and if it will be used every year.

Because the No. 44 is a significant part of SU culture, pride and athletic legacy, the university must resolve the confusion in a timely manner.