Arts

The Syracuse Stage to begin to transition leadership roles

Luke Rafferty | Staff Photographer

National searches for new leadership positions at Syracuse Stage will begin this summer.

The Syracuse Stage will be begin to transition leadership roles this summer, as Timothy Bond, producing artistic director, and Jeffrey Woodward, managing director, will soon be pursuing new opportunities.

According to a Syracuse Stage press release, Bond plans to continue at Stage through June of next year, while Woodward will start his new job as managing director at Dallas Theater Center in July.

“It just was really an interesting and exciting opportunity for me,” Woodward said. “I’ve been here for seven years and felt this would be a good next step for me.”

Woodward was not actively looking for a new position — he said that a national executive pursued him for the job. Dallas Theater Center is about twice the size of Syracuse Stage.

Woodward said that as managing director at Dallas Theater Center his responsibilities will be similar to those he had at Stage.

Diana Coles, Syracuse Stage’s current administrative director, will serve as interim managing director starting July 1 to aid the transition.

This summer, national searches for new leadership positions at Syracuse Stage will begin.

Woodward said that Syracuse Stage is looking to hire a new managing director who will be a good partner with the artistic director and board of trustees, as well as someone who will help ensure that Stage stays financially viable and maintains its artistic integrity.

“This is a company that’s 43 years old. We want someone who can continue that tradition,” Woodward said.

Because Bond will continue next year as producing artistic director, Syracuse Stage is expected to run smoothly artistically and business-wise next year, according to the press release.

“Tim and Jeff’s passion, experience, and ideas have driven dynamic, excellent programming and community-wide support,” said Bea Gonzalez, Treasurer of the Board and former Board Chair, in the press release. “Fortunately, we have some time before we have to say goodbye. We’re thankful that Jeff will be with us to finish out the current fiscal year, and that Tim will be with us until next spring to fulfill his vision for the upcoming Syracuse Stage season.”